Buying themes and plugins from other sources

Buying themes and plugins from other sources

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Maria Marketing, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Moneyman

Moneyman New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    If a deal is too good to be true, then it probably is. Developers charge a good amount of money for their themes, say 40$. If anyone sells it for 10$, then most of the time it will not be legal. However, if the person has resell rights then they are probably allowed to do so.

To be on the safe side however, I like to buy themes and plugins directly from sites like Codecanyon or Themeforest. I would recommend Elegantthemes as well because the themes can be compared to almost every other expensive theme (30$+) however the price is "dirt" cheap, because you pay only 89$ a year for over 80 great themes and some useful plugins you might need.

2. Maria Marketing

Maria Marketing Active Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    I saw some good reviews on Elegant Themes but haven't looked on their site that I can remember. It's $89 for all the themes or just 1?

3. JohnQ

JohnQ Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I have got a couple of these kinds of emails offering their discounted themes and plugins but I didn't look on the links they sent because I was not needing any of those at the time.

If you do buy from other sources you need to make sure they are not doing anything illegal and that they can be completely trusted.

4. Maria Marketing

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    The ones that I check on said it was completely legal. I don't know how to tell if a site should be trusted or not though.

5. JohnQ

JohnQ Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    You have to be careful because just because someone says that something is legal that doesn't mean that's true. There are also other laws in some places that others don't have.

6. Maria Marketing

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    I know that and I am always careful and try to look for more information or ask questions before I make any decisions.

7. JohnQ

JohnQ Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    That's a good practice! :Thumb:

I always do that myself after getting burned a few times in the past.

8. Maria Marketing

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    after looking at a couple of the websites again I noticed that many of the plugins and themes they were selling were not the most recent versions. Maybe that's why they are cheaper.

9. JohnQ

JohnQ Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Maybe they have some kind of source for old plugins that are released somewhere because of their age and that is why they are selling them cheap.

10. Maria Marketing

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    Maybe they are but if they are older versions then I would not want to buy them because sometimes the updates are to fix security problems.

11. JohnQ

JohnQ Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    You're right about that. Based on what I have seen there are always some kind of security fixes or hardening listed in changelogs.

12. Maria Marketing

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    Maybe I am just being paranoid but the security things scare me. I am always afraid that someone will break into my blog and ruin it.