Is it good to have lots of followers & friends on social media for marketing?

Ellen F

Hi everybody, I have been doing a bit of research on social media marketing and was wondering if it's good to have lots of followers and friends on the social networks? I see some people have an unbelievable amount of people that are following or are friends of theirs, while at the same time some people don't have that many.

I just didn't know if the more the better for marketing purposes or if there are other things that matter and contribute towards your marketing success on the social networks.

I'd love to hear some thoughts and opinions on this since this is something I don't know much about and have been looking at lately.

Thanks everybody.

Dean

I think that it doesn't matter how many followers you have if they aren't interested in what you are trying to market or promote, so sheer numbers of followers or visitors really don't matter unless they are people or businesses that might be interested in what you are marketing.

That being said, there are a very high number of people out there that buy followers or friends to make their account, page or whatever look like it's good or interesting when in fact if you need to buy followers or friends then it must not be that good or interesting to begin with. Most of these that are bought are all bots/fake followers or friends so they would never buy what you are marketing, so they are financially worthless to have other than to make your numbers look good if you subscribe to that.

Cheers, Dean

ulterios

It is good to have lots of social followers and friends for marketing, if they might be interested in what you are promoting. If they would never be interested in what you are marketing, then it doesn't matter how many you have.

It would be best to have less followers and friends that might engage with whatever you are marketing over having a whole lot of followers that would never be interesting in anything you are marketing. ;)

KeralMTG

It will probably only be good if they like the same things that you are trying too market. If they are not interested in those kind of things then they will most likely be just a waste.

Traveler

If it's for marketing then I think the more followers you have then the better it will be because there are more chances for sales.

Dean

If it's for marketing then I think the more followers you have then the better it will be because there are more chances for sales.
As long as the followers are real and not fake and are followers that might be interested in what you are marketing then that is true. The more followers, the more chances for more sales. The trick is getting the right followers.

Cheers, Dean.

Traveler

As long as the followers are real and not fake and are followers that might be interested in what you are marketing then that is true. The more followers, the more chances for more sales. The trick is getting the right followers.

Cheers, Dean.
I guess that is right but sometime you can not tell if they are fake or not.

Catherine1

I think it could be a big help as long as they are real people. If they are not real then you will not get any sales.

ulterios

I think it could be a big help as long as they are real people. If they are not real then you will not get any sales.
That's one of the main problems. Many people have so many fake/bot followers/friends that are basically worthless.

Some people don't care because their number of followers makes them feel good or they think that it can make them look more legit.

I have some Twitter accounts that have only a few hundred followers that get way more responses/interaction/positive results than others that have thousands. ;)

matteomatt

On most platforms you need to have followers for people to see your posts. For example, on twitter people are unlikely to see your posts if you don't have some followers. Once a few people retweet it, its not as bad but having initial followers on an account gets you that easy exposure.

Dean

on twitter people are unlikely to see your posts if you don't have some followers.
Good point to bring up. You would be surprised at how many people don't realize that you need to have followers on Twitter to get good exposure for your Tweets.

Many people think that all you have to do is just post the Tweets and everyone will see them, especially those people that are new to Twitter. Just like how many people think that all you have to do is just build a website and it will magically get a bunch of traffic and rank high.

Some people don't realize that these things take work.

Ellen F

On most platforms you need to have followers for people to see your posts. For example, on twitter people are unlikely to see your posts if you don't have some followers. Once a few people retweet it, its not as bad but having initial followers on an account gets you that easy exposure.
I have kind of been neglecting my social media accounts for a few months but I will be getting back to them now that I have more time. I didn't know about needing followers for people to see your posts on Twitter so thanks for that piece of information.

Maria Marketing

I think that as long as they are real followers or friends and not fake ones then the more that you have then the better the chances are that they might become someone who buys something from you.

I saw something somewhere once that said "More eyes = More sales".

Ellen F

I think that as long as they are real followers or friends and not fake ones then the more that you have then the better the chances are that they might become someone who buys something from you.

I saw something somewhere once that said "More eyes = More sales".
That's a great marketing quote, i'll have to remember that one.

I guess I need to start getting in gear and growing my followers and friends on my social accounts.

Kania

Yes more followers and friends are much better for your marketing. If you have more then more people might like what you post and you can maybe make more sales or leads.

I think as long as they are real then you want as many as possible.

Maria Marketing

That's a great marketing quote, i'll have to remember that one.

I guess I need to start getting in gear and growing my followers and friends on my social accounts.
That is a very good idea and I think that it can help you a lot. I need to get more myself also.

Ellen F

Yes more followers and friends are much better for your marketing. If you have more then more people might like what you post and you can maybe make more sales or leads.

I think as long as they are real then you want as many as possible.
I don't think I would be able to tell how they are real. Is there some way that makes it easy to tell?

Kania

I don't think I would be able to tell how they are real. Is there some way that makes it easy to tell?
I am still learning more about this but some ways I can tell is if the accounts have lots and lots of posting the same things over and over again. Also you can sometimes look at their profile and banner image and see they are low quality or just fake.