Do you use the Jetpack by Wordpress plugin?

Dean

I've seen a lot of discussions around the internet lately about the Jetpack by Wordpress plugin and it's recent changes as well as the paid version that they didn't used to have.

I use the free version on most of my Wordpress websites and have since I first got started using Wordpress.

It sometimes comes pre-installed on some of the 1-Click app installers that some web hosting service providers have so it is on a lot of Wordpress websites basically by default.

I am curious if many of our members use the Jetpack by Wordpress plugin. Do you use it?

ulterios

I use the Jetpack plugin on my WordPress websites but I don't use all of the available features. Some sites have more features enabled because of specific needs so it's not the exact same setup on each WordPress website.

I always use the contact form feature as well as the site verification feature on all of my WordPress sites but other than those each website varies a little as far as which features are enabled and which are not.

vishwa

I am also using jetpack on my blog. It is really a great plugin and comes with great features. It has some great features like social sharing, blog subscription, photon, site stats etc which will help me to prevent from installing extra plugins to my blog.

Dean

I am also using jetpack on my blog. It is really a great plugin and comes with great features. It has some great features like social sharing, blog subscription, photon, site stats etc which will help me to prevent from installing extra plugins to my blog.
I was using the JetPack site stats part since I first started using Wordpress years ago and really like it's simple display of stats. Last year I was looking at speeding up one of my sites and found that the site stats uses a lot of system resources especially the RAM and I/O of your hosting.

If you disable it that will greatly reduce the usage of those resources and that can help load times and site performance. I found another stats plugin called "WP Statistics" and it works great, gives more details than JetPack site stats does and it uses a lot less resources. You might want to check it out.

vishwa

I was using the JetPack site stats part since I first started using Wordpress years ago and really like it's simple display of stats. Last year I was looking at speeding up one of my sites and found that the site stats uses a lot of system resources especially the RAM and I/O of your hosting.

If you disable it that will greatly reduce the usage of those resources and that can help load times and site performance. I found another stats plugin called "WP Statistics" and it works great, gives more details than JetPack site stats does and it uses a lot less resources. You might want to check it out.

Yes, you are right. Jetpack really use so much resources and slow down your site. I will definitely try the WP Statistics.

JennyJ

I use it and I have not had any problems with it on my blog. I was told about this plugin by a friend and have used it for a while now and like the features it has.

KeralMTG

I started using jetpack for the social sharing and email subscription features. Some things I do not use but maybe I will later.

Traveler

I use jetpack but some of the things that I want to use on it are paid so I might be removing it. It use to be free for all of it and now they have paid parts so I do not like that.

Dean

I use jetpack but some of the things that I want to use on it are paid so I might be removing it. It use to be free for all of it and now they have paid parts so I do not like that.
Maybe they realized that so many people were using it and liked it so they decided that they wanted to make a profit from it. Lots of free things become paid later on, unfortunately. :(

Traveler

Maybe they realized that so many people were using it and liked it so they decided that they wanted to make a profit from it. Lots of free things become paid later on, unfortunately. :(
What some do when they want to charge for something after it was free is to have a free and paid with the paid version having better features. I wish they did that instead.

Dean

What some do when they want to charge for something after it was free is to have a free and paid with the paid version having better features. I wish they did that instead.
Well that sounds nice but I guess they didn't want to go that route. They kind of do have a free and paid version since some of the features are free and others are paid.

Catherine1

I'm using it on my blog but I am thinking about removing it because I don't use many of it's settings. I also read recently that it can really slow down your blog and that it is better to find other plugins that will do the job.

Dean

I'm using it on my blog but I am thinking about removing it because I don't use many of it's settings. I also read recently that it can really slow down your blog and that it is better to find other plugins that will do the job.
I have also been looking at maybe replacing it myself. There are a lot of it's features that I don't use and/or don't need so I am thinking about replacing it with a couple other plugins that will do the job.

Catherine1

I have also been looking at maybe replacing it myself. There are a lot of it's features that I don't use and/or don't need so I am thinking about replacing it with a couple other plugins that will do the job.
If you find any good replacements then let us know. :D

Dean

If you find any good replacements then let us know. :D
The last couple of days I have been reading up on some replacements and doing a little testing. When I find some good options I will post them here.

Catherine1

The last couple of days I have been reading up on some replacements and doing a little testing. When I find some good options I will post them here.
I was looking for replacements for the contact form and found that contact form 7 and ninja forms (I think) are the two that most people are recommending for it.

The other parts that I am looking for a replacement for are the extra sidebar widgets and the website verification parts. I haven't found any for them yet but I haven't looked around much.

Dean

The other parts that I am looking for a replacement for are the extra sidebar widgets and the website verification parts. I haven't found any for them yet but I haven't looked around much.
Have you searched in the Wordpress repository? I have found several different plugins for widgets so you would just need to find one that has what you need in particular.

Dean

Never really used Jetpack as I normally avoid using plugins. I remember purchasing a plugin for social share but later on found out that there was already a free option for such social shares on WP.
I really only started using it because when I started building my first Wordpress sites it was already installed by default from the 1-Click installer that I was using.

Over time I have found that many of the parts/features of it have better options through other plugins or you can just do a few code changes to achieve the same things.