What's the best Free cPanel alternative control panel?

Dean

I have always used (paid for) cPanel for all of my hosting accounts and now I looking for a free control panel alternative to cPanel. It's for a VPS that will be used to test out some things and some websites so I really don't want to pay the extra for cPanel unless I have to.

Anyone know of any good free cPanel alternatives for a VPS?

Cheers, Dean.

jpy

There are six that come to mind. They are Server Pilot, Floxor, VestaCP, Kloxo, Sentora, and ISPConfig3 with the last one being the best, though difficult to install. Anyway, due to the fact this stuff is free, it might not be as good. However, do any of you all think the added cost of cPanel is worth it? Well, that would mostly be a question for certain resellers cause most hosting plans, even free ones, come with cPanel.

Soulwatcher

If its just for personal you could use Webmin with Virtualadmin to manage your websites. and it works as good a cpanel. It just has a more crude interface. But you can do anything that you do on cpanel with Webmin with Virtualadmin.

P.S. I have used them in the past to manage my webservers. ;)

vishwa

cpanel is one the best and easy to manage control panel. I am using it from past 7 years and never had any issues with them. However I have tried Hespia control panel provided by some European web hosting companies. Though it is on beta phase but have some great features and easy to manage options.

Dean

cpanel is one the best and easy to manage control panel. I am using it from past 7 years and never had any issues with them. However I have tried Hespia control panel provided by some European web hosting companies. Though it is on beta phase but have some great features and easy to manage options.
I don't think that I have heard of Hespia control panel. I will have to take a look at it.

Thanks for sharing that. :)

ulterios

The one that I see most often being mentioned that people like is CentOS. It seems to be very popular and is recommended by many people including a lot of web hosting providers.

Dean

The one that I see most often being mentioned that people like is CentOS. It seems to be very popular and is recommended by many people including a lot of web hosting providers.
I read something about Centos not having a file manager which is something that I would like a control panel to have. I am not 100% sure but I saw something about that but haven't looked into it yet.

Thanks for bringing that one up, I keep forgetting about it.

ulterios

I read something about Centos not having a file manager which is something that I would like a control panel to have. I am not 100% sure but I saw something about that but haven't looked into it yet.

Thanks for bringing that one up, I keep forgetting about it.
I don't remembers seeing anything about that but that would be something to check on. I know that I prefer having a file manager in any web hosting control panel that I would use. It just makes things easier.

Dean

I don't remembers seeing anything about that but that would be something to check on. I know that I prefer having a file manager in any web hosting control panel that I would use. It just makes things easier.
I prefer file managers to be incorporated into a control panel myself also, it makes things easier. I will have to check into this to verify that Centos doesn't have one.

Marcos

When I was looking for this information when I was thinking of getting a VPS I saw that Webmin and CentOS were the two that seemed to have the best features and seemed easy enough to use without much prior knowledge.

JohnQ

If you guys are talking about CentOS web panel then it does have a file manager although it isn't very attractive and as easy to use as the one in cpanel.

I was trying out there demo a while back and saw it there. It was kind of basic looking and not as easy to figure out as the one in cpanel but they do have one.

Dean

If you guys are talking about CentOS web panel then it does have a file manager although it isn't very attractive and as easy to use as the one in cpanel.

I was trying out there demo a while back and saw it there. It was kind of basic looking and not as easy to figure out as the one in cpanel but they do have one.
I did notice that myself when I was doing some testing of it on a VPS around the first of the year. I guess that it is better than not having one at all but a cleaner one would sure be nice.

JohnQ

I did notice that myself when I was doing some testing of it on a VPS around the first of the year. I guess that it is better than not having one at all but a cleaner one would sure be nice.
I read a post about integrating another file manager with it but I can't remember where I saw that. You might be able to find something out in Google about it.

Dean

I read a post about integrating another file manager with it but I can't remember where I saw that. You might be able to find something out in Google about it.
I may have seen something about that. I think I saw it when I was looking into it a few months back.