What do I build my blog with?

Melker

I am getting back into internet marketing after some time away and want to build a new blog as a launching point and home for my marketing efforts.

I'm looking for some help deciding on what to use to make the blog. I was thinking about Joomla or Wordpress because I have some experience with them but I am open to any suggestions.

Oh, this will be on my own hosting. I like to be in charge of everything to do with my blog.

Dean

If you're just looking for an easy way to build a blog then I would recommend Wordpress, especially since you say that you have some experience with it.

It's just so easy to build and setup a blog how you want and with all the themes, plugins and information out there on it that I think it's the best option for a ready to use CMS to build a site with.

Kania

I recommend wordpress myself also. That is what I am using and I did not know almost anything about making blogs and I have been able to do everything myself and very easily.

There are many themes to choose from with both free and paid offerings so you can easily get a look for your blog that you like.

Melker

Thanks for the recommendations. I just wasn't sure if there was something that was better out there. I have been away for a couple of years and haven't made any sites and that can be a lifetime in the tech and online world.

ulterios

Thanks for the recommendations. I just wasn't sure if there was something that was better out there.
It all depends on what you consider"Better". ;)

If you have experience with WordPress then you should go with that one since it can help you to get your site up and running quicker since you'll know how to do some things.

Out of all the CMS's out there that one is going to probably be the easiest to setup like you want and be able to have the features that you want the easiest.

Melker

It all depends on what you consider"Better". ;)

If you have experience with WordPress then you should go with that one since it can help you to get your site up and running quicker since you'll know how to do some things.

Out of all the CMS's out there that one is going to probably be the easiest to setup like you want and be able to have the features that you want the easiest.
I wasn't really worried about getting the site up and going quicker but more along the operation and performance of the site.

I will probably just use Wordpress but didn't know if something new and better was out.

Storm

If it's just going to be a blog then I would choose Wordpress. There are a lot of free and paid themes and plugins out there that you can use to get it all setup so that would make it easier to get started.

Wordpress is also real easy to do things with and since you have some experience then that would help you out.

Melker

If it's just going to be a blog then I would choose Wordpress. There are a lot of free and paid themes and plugins out there that you can use to get it all setup so that would make it easier to get started.

Wordpress is also real easy to do things with and since you have some experience then that would help you out.
I will probably just use wordpress but was just wondering if something better in some way is available.

I was looking at some themes that I like so that can help the decision process.

Storm

I will probably just use wordpress but was just wondering if something better in some way is available.

I was looking at some themes that I like so that can help the decision process.
Ok, I know what you mean. I have heard that Drupal is more secure by reading a little on it but I have no idea it that is really true or not.

Either way I would prefer Wordpress myself because of everything that's out there for it.

Melker

Ok, I know what you mean. I have heard that Drupal is more secure by reading a little on it but I have no idea it that is really true or not.

Either way I would prefer Wordpress myself because of everything that's out there for it.
I saw some info on that but many people think it's not true and it just looks more secure because there are more Wordpress sites out there which is why there are more hacks and attempts that show up.

Storm

I saw some info on that but many people think it's not true and it just looks more secure because there are more Wordpress sites out there which is why there are more hacks and attempts that show up.
That is a possibility since wordpress is the most used CMS.

Melker

You can use Following Wordpress Plugins to secure your site

Wordfence Security
Ithemes Security
Bulletproof Security
All In One WP Security & Firewall
I think wordfence security is one I used a few years ago. I don't think that I have heard of the other ones but I will check them out. Thanks for posting these for me. I have been away from wordpress for a few years so I need to learn about some things again.

Melker

I will choose Wordpress for my blog , because it is easy to build my blog , with theme , plugin good.
That is what I am going with after checking on a couple different things.

Do you use paid or free themes and plugins? I am not sure if I want to pay for any just yet or just use the free ones for now.

Melker

I used theme fee for my site. You can use theme free from wordpress , no problem.
Great thanks. I don't mind buying them if they are needed but I wanted to wait if possible and see how the blog works out. I was just thinking about using a nice free theme and then if it works out then I would buy a good paid theme.

JohnQ

I would usually stay stick with what you know and between the ones you listed I would do Wordpress. I have been thinking about using something different myself also and have been thinking about Drupal. I just don't know much of it so I don't know if I will actually use it or not.

Melker

I would usually stay stick with what you know and between the ones you listed I would do Wordpress. I have been thinking about using something different myself also and have been thinking about Drupal. I just don't know much of it so I don't know if I will actually use it or not.
I looked at drupal a little myself but I think it might be better to just stick with one I know something of.

PedroP

My experience consists of Wordpress only but I have to say that I recommend it 100%! I was a total newbie to website building when I got into it and Wordpress made it incredibly easy to start my own website. Easy to use interface and great for beginners also it offers great problem-solving interface. Love it!