Is managed Wordpress hosting any good?

Storm

Has anyone used the managed wordpress hosting that seems to be a hot new thing in hosting? I keep seeing that it's "Optimized" for wordpress but I really don't know much about if that is really true or if they are just putting another label on the same old hosting they usually sell.

I did some looking around the web and some people think it's great and other think is the same old hosting with a new label. I was just curious if anyone here has used it and what they thought about it. I might be in the market for hosting soon so I wanted to see if it's good or not.

Any info will be helpful.

Catherine1

I have been seeing that around myself and wondering if it is something to get. I did some looking around and seem to get answers on both ends of things. Some say it's great and some say don't get it because it is no different than the standard hosting the hosts offer. If I find out anything more i'll let you know.

ulterios

I have seen many hosts claim that their managed WordPress hosting is different than their regular shared hosting BUT the managed WP sites are using the same IP addresses as shared hosting websites. This leads me to believe that most are full of it when they say it's different.

The main benefit would be the fact that they are doing updates and other services.

As for the actual servers being "Optimized" for Wordpress, that I am not so sure of! ;)

Rackend

optimized for wordpress is the host with installed php and mysql, to my mind. But some of WP plugins are rather heavy and need more power than a simple shared plan.

KeralMTG

optimized for wordpress is the host with installed php and mysql, to my mind. But some of WP plugins are rather heavy and need more power than a simple shared plan.
So then is it better to get a vps instead of this kind of hosting? I see this kind everywhere but I too do not know what the differences are since the hosts do not say what is different.

Storm

some of WP plugins are rather heavy and need more power than a simple shared plan.
How can you tell which plugins will be needing more power?

It would be nice to know before installing them.

Storm

The current and future of web hosting is Cloud hosting. Cloud hosting gives benefits over all traditional web hosting, the most prominent ones being in terms of performance, security and scalability. In cloud hosting preferred is managed cloud hosting.
So cloud hosting is better than VPS and dedicated server hosting?

Traveler

I have not shopped for hosting for quite a while and have seen this lately and was curios as to what exactly it is and how it's different from regular hosting. To be honest it all sounds like a marketing thing that's probably pushing the same service as regular shared hosting. I might give it a try but I don't need wordpress hosting personally.

ulterios

I have not shopped for hosting for quite a while and have seen this lately and was curios as to what exactly it is and how it's different from regular hosting. To be honest it all sounds like a marketing thing that's probably pushing the same service as regular shared hosting. I might give it a try but I don't need wordpress hosting personally.
There might be a difference with some of the WordPress specialized hosts but I bet that with most of the lower-end and regularly used hosts there will not be much difference if there is even any at all.

Traveler

There might be a difference with some of the WordPress specialized hosts but I bet that with most of the lower-end and regularly used hosts there will not be much difference if there is even any at all.
I was thinking that too. I just did not know since that is a new service since I last shopped for hosting. Thanks

Dean

I have actually thought about doing some A-B testing for one of these services to see how well they perform. Get a standard hosting plan and a managed wordpress plan (same hosting provider), setup the exact same site (Something I won't be keeping) on each different hosting type and then do some testing to see if there is anything different as far as performance. Everything would be the exact same except for the hosting service type. Might be interesting!

If I wind up doing this I will post my findings so anyone thinking about trying this type of hosting will know if it's worth a shot or not.

Cheers, Dean.

Traveler

I have actually thought about doing some A-B testing for one of these services to see how well they perform. Get a standard hosting plan and a managed wordpress plan (same hosting provider), setup the exact same site (Something I won't be keeping) on each different hosting type and then do some testing to see if there is anything different as far as performance. Everything would be the exact same except for the hosting service type. Might be interesting!

If I wind up doing this I will post my findings so anyone thinking about trying this type of hosting will know if it's worth a shot or not.

Cheers, Dean.
If you do the testing then post your findings because this has my interest since seeing this new thing. Looks like the hosts are just saying it's different but it's not but you never know.

vishwa

Has anyone used the managed wordpress hosting that seems to be a hot new thing in hosting? I keep seeing that it's "Optimized" for wordpress but I really don't know much about if that is really true or if they are just putting another label on the same old hosting they usually sell.

I did some looking around the web and some people think it's great and other think is the same old hosting with a new label. I was just curious if anyone here has used it and what they thought about it. I might be in the market for hosting soon so I wanted to see if it's good or not.

Any info will be helpful.
I am currently using Godaddy Managed WordPress hosting for my blog. All I can say that buying a managed WordPress hosting will save your time. You will get WordPress pre installed with themes and plugins like Jetpack and askimet. You don't have to think about the technical part of it, because everything will be managed. You can restore or back up your site with single click.

ulterios

You can restore or back up your site with single click.
Hi Vishwa, since you mentioned backups I was wondering if they setup and do the backups for you or if you have to do them yourself?

If they are automatic, do you know how often they do them?

I have thought about testing the service to see if there is any difference from the standard cPanel hosting they have.

vishwa

Hi Vishwa, since you mentioned backups I was wondering if they setup and do the backups for you or if you have to do them yourself?

If they are automatic, do you know how often they do them?

I have thought about testing the service to see if there is any difference from the standard cPanel hosting they have.
Since I am using Godaddy managed WordPress and yes they do automatically backup of your files and database. They provide Free daily backups & 1-click restore. They also have free migration option as well. You simply have to insert your old hosting details and they will automatically transfer your old site and put them on temporary url where you can check everything. If everything is right you can assign it your domain.

Storm

I am currently using Godaddy Managed WordPress hosting for my blog. All I can say that buying a managed WordPress hosting will save your time. You will get WordPress pre installed with themes and plugins like Jetpack and askimet. You don't have to think about the technical part of it, because everything will be managed. You can restore or back up your site with single click.
Is the backup service included in the price of the hosting or is that extra? Many hosts charge extra for a backup service.

Storm

It is included in the price of hosting. You don't have to pay for it.
That great. Most of the hosts always want to charge for backups so it's nice that this feature is free.

Ben

I have been looking at this type of hosting and some reviews of this kind of service and it seems like you can only trust the more well known hosts as far as this type actually being different.

Storm

I have been looking at this type of hosting and some reviews of this kind of service and it seems like you can only trust the more well known hosts as far as this type actually being different.
So then how do we know which ones are the more well known? Just going by how big the hosting company is?