Is a paid website design better for the website success?

Ana

Hello, I am wanting to know if it is better for the success of a website if it is design by a professional or better to do it yourself to learn how to do this.

I want a wordpress website and someone at work said a paid website design will be better for a successful website than to do it by yourself. Is this true or not? I would like to do it myself to learn more but if paid is better then may be I should get a paid design.

ProfMike

That all depends Ana on how knowledgeable you are. Paying for someone to design a website, even a simple Blog can become expensive because the requirements will grow for the design as your site grows.

You may want to learn how to design one yourself. But again that all depends on how comfortable you are learning new technologies and how much spare time you have to learn.

So of this will also depend on how much available cash you have to spend having one designed. If it were me, I would want to learn to do it myself and just build my skills as they were needed and the site grew.

Dean

Hi Ana, I have to agree with @ProfMike on this one. If you have the time and the desire to learn how to do this yourself then that would be a great idea. That way if you have a need for anything to be done later down the road you won't need to rely on someone else to do it for you and can do it when you want to and save the costs.

This would also save you more and more money over time if you were to learn because you wouldn't have to pay anyone else to do it, which can get expensive sometimes.

If you learned how to do this yourself then if you ever wanted to create another website or re-design your current one, you would be able to save the cost and use the money for something else.

It basically just depends on you and what you want to do, as well as if you have a little time to learn how to do this.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Dean

Ana

That all depends Ana on how knowledgeable you are. Paying for someone to design a website, even a simple Blog can become expensive because the requirements will grow for the design as your site grows.

You may want to learn how to design one yourself. But again that all depends on how comfortable you are learning new technologies and how much spare time you have to learn.

So of this will also depend on how much available cash you have to spend having one designed. If it were me, I would want to learn to do it myself and just build my skills as they were needed and the site grew.
Thank you ProfMike. If I want to learn then how long does that usually take to do something that is not too much elaboart? It would be nice to be able to do this myself so I can do it in the future for more websites if I want.

I know how to do some things but not the ones that are complicated yet. I have had lots of training for other software and computer programs for work. I think I am not too slow to learn new things so I think it will be ok.

Ana

Hi Ana, I have to agree with @ProfMike on this one. If you have the time and the desire to learn how to do this yourself then that would be a great idea. That way if you have a need for anything to be done later down the road you won't need to rely on someone else to do it for you and can do it when you want to and save the costs.

This would also save you more and more money over time if you were to learn because you wouldn't have to pay anyone else to do it, which can get expensive sometimes.

If you learned how to do this yourself then if you ever wanted to create another website or re-design your current one, you would be able to save the cost and use the money for something else.

It basically just depends on you and what you want to do, as well as if you have a little time to learn how to do this.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Dean
Thank you Dean. I too think it will be good to learn how to do this myself. I just do not know where to start to learn how to do this. I have some computer training but not for this things. I would like to know so I can make more websites later if I want to.

davidfranco

I suppose it is better for website success

If you have a budget to upgrade functions on your site then it will serve your visitors better.

I often hire freelancer web designer to do custom works on my site when it needed. That improved more.

Just my thought!

ulterios

A paid web design doesn't mean it's better because it's paid. It all depends on the skills of the person doing the designing. Some web designers, although being paid, are pretty poor in comparison to some that I have seen novices design.

A lot of paid designers cut corners to save time and even use some base templates and other stock pieces of work, then just alter them o fit the wants of the client.

Some novice designers do very well, simply because they are wanting to create something special, and not just complete another sale.

There are good paid designers and bad, you just have to do your research to see if they are going to be able to produce the results that you are looking for.

If you were to do the design yourself (if you know how), then you can take your time and get it just right since you aren't under time constraints to finish the job and get paid.

It all depends on the designer on if a paid website design will be better than what someone can do themselves. ;)

sam.hunt0710

@Ana A quick search over youtube tutorials will help you out in customizing your website according to your needs.

But in case you are looking for some custom coding to be done over your website you need to hire a programmer who can help you out in customizing the codes of Themes & plugins and providing you end result like what you were expecting.

You can use various Composers plugins to customize your website ( Divibuilder , Visualcomposer ) or also some plugins which can add custom CSS over your installed theme.

Argus

@Ana A quick search over youtube tutorials will help you out in customizing your website according to your needs.

But in case you are looking for some custom coding to be done over your website you need to hire a programmer who can help you out in customizing the codes of Themes & plugins and providing you end result like what you were expecting.

You can use various Composers plugins to customize your website ( Divibuilder , Visualcomposer ) or also some plugins which can add custom CSS over your installed theme.
You tube has good tutorials for websites or are the paid ones better? I did not know they had tutorials. I thought they just have movie clips and people making videos. You tube we do not hear about too much in my country.

ProfMike

Ana, learning web development is not that difficult if you really want to learn it.

Mastering web development is a completely different story. I consider myself pretty good in web development. I have developed and designed over 300 sites for customers, most of them CMS systems, that were written for the customer. But I do not consider that I have mastered the web development languages. I am always learning new techniques and principles. It is a constantly growing process.

As I learn new techniques to make things a little better in the development it usually opens a door to a new technology that requires some additional learning. I consider it fun and challenging.

I would always opt to learn the technology and do it myself. But that is just me and many people would rather just take a system like WordPress or Joomla or one of the other boxed platforms and use those to build their sites. The beauty with learning programming is there is no definitive "Right Way" everyone does things a little differently. There are good ways, and then better ways.

As an example. In one of my college classes that I teach I give the students a problem to solve. A simple programming problem.

1. Load a database with a group of captured values, from a form.
2. Clean the data making sure it is safe to enter the database.
3. Enter the data into the database, know that a field from the form does not exist in the database.
4. Add the new field in the table.
5. Complete the data entry into the table.
6. Read the data from the database and populate a variety of reports that I list on the board.

Using programming this is a pretty simple program to write. It requires a new student about an hour to complete. I have on average about 20 students in each class and they have all gone through the same level of training to this point.

In all the years I have been teaching, about 10 years to this point, no 2 students have ever exactly programmed the same procedure. They normally get a good outcome but most if not all go about it differently, different sequences, different code structure, different verification process, etc.

The point is, we all think and process information differently. That is what makes programming so much fun. I learn stuff from my students everyday I teach. They look at programming challenges differently then I do, and this is great.

In programming we all learn from each other. Web development is a pattern of learning building blocks. We start with the scripting languages, HTML and CSS. We become proficient at those, then we move into PHP and MySQL and add those blocks, this adds dynamic capabilities to our sites, then we move into JavaScript and jQuery to add interactivity to pour applications and then we start building on all those blocks to add a higher level of competency with each.

There is a group of other technologies that we can add if we chose as we move forward. But those are the key building blocks to developing good websites.

Ana

Ana, learning web development is not that difficult if you really want to learn it.

Mastering web development is a completely different story. I consider myself pretty good in web development. I have developed and designed over 300 sites for customers, most of them CMS systems, that were written for the customer. But I do not consider that I have mastered the web development languages. I am always learning new techniques and principles. It is a constantly growing process.

As I learn new techniques to make things a little better in the development it usually opens a door to a new technology that requires some additional learning. I consider it fun and challenging.

I would always opt to learn the technology and do it myself. But that is just me and many people would rather just take a system like WordPress or Joomla or one of the other boxed platforms and use those to build their sites. The beauty with learning programming is there is no definitive "Right Way" everyone does things a little differently. There are good ways, and then better ways.

As an example. In one of my college classes that I teach I give the students a problem to solve. A simple programming problem.

1. Load a database with a group of captured values, from a form.
2. Clean the data making sure it is safe to enter the database.
3. Enter the data into the database, know that a field from the form does not exist in the database.
4. Add the new field in the table.
5. Complete the data entry into the table.
6. Read the data from the database and populate a variety of reports that I list on the board.

Using programming this is a pretty simple program to write. It requires a new student about an hour to complete. I have on average about 20 students in each class and they have all gone through the same level of training to this point.

In all the years I have been teaching, about 10 years to this point, no 2 students have ever exactly programmed the same procedure. They normally get a good outcome but most if not all go about it differently, different sequences, different code structure, different verification process, etc.

The point is, we all think and process information differently. That is what makes programming so much fun. I learn stuff from my students everyday I teach. They look at programming challenges differently then I do, and this is great.

In programming we all learn from each other. Web development is a pattern of learning building blocks. We start with the scripting languages, HTML and CSS. We become proficient at those, then we move into PHP and MySQL and add those blocks, this adds dynamic capabilities to our sites, then we move into JavaScript and jQuery to add interactivity to pour applications and then we start building on all those blocks to add a higher level of competency with each.

There is a group of other technologies that we can add if we chose as we move forward. But those are the key building blocks to developing good websites.
I do really want to learn it. This way I can do my websites for myself and not need to rely on someone else. I like to be independent if I can. I will have to see about this soon. I have some time I will be off work for vacation they are going to make me take. Maybe I can try to learn some then.

KeralMTG

I think that many times the paid website designs might be better for some people who are not good with website designs but if you are good at it then it should not matter if it is paid or you do it yourself.

EmailGGG

Your wedsite can not simply just grab attention. The purpose of your website is to captive and connect with the user, while also informing the about your brand and bringing their attention to you product or service
In the online world, first impression are critical to success and our beautiful website designs are one of the key to achieving that goal, appealing aesthetics and user friendliness are what users enjoy most.

Dean

Your wedsite can not simply just grab attention. The purpose of your website is to captive and connect with the user, while also informing the about your brand and bringing their attention to you product or service
In the online world, first impression are critical to success and our beautiful website designs are one of the key to achieving that goal, appealing aesthetics and user friendliness are what users enjoy most.
Are you saying that a paid website design is important for the success of a website?

John11

Users judge the design of the application in order to access the quality of the products that are sold by the companies. User always have alternative options. Some website owners design their own applications, but it is advise to hire developers to develop a secure and a professional website because sometimes the website owners made the mistake of designing their own application and as a result their website get hacked because of missing security measures.
Paid website designs can offer following benefits:
  1. SEO friendly website design
  2. Responsive website design
  3. Clean and professional looking website design
  4. Secure web application

Catherine1

When I first started blogging I thought about paying someone to design and build my blog but decided that I wanted to learn how to do it myself. I was going to pay someone to build it because I thought that would mean success would come quicker.0

I don't think that a paid design helps success but it can make your website look more professional faster which might help it's success a little bit.

Traveler

I don't think that a paid design for a website makes it a success or not but if you try hard to get people to come to your website. Paid designed websites can maybe look more professional if you are not good at designing one for yourself but I think the success matters more on what you do to make it get people to come to it.

Raeann Bell

I will suggest you for professional designer. We all know that quality web design is a valuable investment, and you obviously get the real benefits of hiring a professional designer. Professional designers think about the big picture. They create a visual language for your brand that is consistent across different contexts. Your website, logo, business cards, and even your Twitter profile have to form a coherent whole. Brands that have a consistent visual language make the best memorable impression. An expertly designed website will attract potential customer and give a visual reason for a previous customer to come back. It will also develop an unrivaled, professional online reputation. Designing a website is not as easy as it sounds. On a basic level, you’ll need to understand backlinks, graphic design and computer programming. Most of these skills require years of study. If you want more complex features, then good luck studying on top of running a business. The true benefit of contracting a professional website designer is that you can get any want for your website. Whether it’s a single page or a complex website design with multiple pages, a website designer can create it all.

Ana

When I first started blogging I thought about paying someone to design and build my blog but decided that I wanted to learn how to do it myself. I was going to pay someone to build it because I thought that would mean success would come quicker.0

I don't think that a paid design helps success but it can make your website look more professional faster which might help it's success a little bit.
Yes I was thinking about the same things. I had someone at my old work show me how to make my own with word press but I think that it looked a little plain. It was nice to learn how to do some things on my own so I hope I can remember what I have learned before so that I may build a new one.