Help choosing a new domain

Ben

I will be starting a new blog and was looking at available domain names and wanted some input from anyone who cares to help.

My question is should I choose a domain name with and enhancer word in front of a keyword like "TopCars" or "BestCars" or something like a name plus the keyword like "BobsCars" or "MikesCars"?

These are just examples but I was wanting some help deciding.

Constructive help is appreciated.

Dean

I think it really depends on if you want to build up a brand nae or not here. If you use a keyword with an enhancement word then those tend to not really be brand names since they are generic in nature.

If you want to build up something that is more of a brand with more recognition then the name with keyword would probably be better for that.

jpy

Note that if you use terms which relate to quality, then you have to live up to the claim. I mean, someone buying mediocre or bad cars from TopCars.com might want to sue for false advertising. :rolleyes:

Anyway, though, I see many things wrong with using your own name in your domain name, but be aware that such combinations might be taken up in the .com sphere, forcing one to get a non-.com extension or even a whole different sort of name.

Ben

I think it really depends on if you want to build up a brand nae or not here. If you use a keyword with an enhancement word then those tend to not really be brand names since they are generic in nature.

If you want to build up something that is more of a brand with more recognition then the name with keyword would probably be better for that.
That's one thing I am trying to decide. If I want to build up a brand or just go for keyword so people know what to expect when they see the name.
Note that if you use terms which relate to quality, then you have to live up to the claim. I mean, someone buying mediocre or bad cars from TopCars.com might want to sue for false advertising. :rolleyes:

Anyway, though, I see many things wrong with using your own name in your domain name, but be aware that such combinations might be taken up in the .com sphere, forcing one to get a non-.com extension or even a whole different sort of name.
If both were available in a .com then which would you pick if it was you?

The market for keyword + enhancer word is pretty saturated, for starters, so it's something you should definitely keep into consideration. However, even if the domain you want is available and if you manage to snag the .com extension for it, I still wouldn't suggest getting it.
First of all, most enhancement words are also employed in the keyword metatag by most major companies in any niche (especially if it's something as big as cars), so by googling, for example, "top cars", it's more likely for viewers to find other bigger websites with a better SEO rank for those keywords than yours, even if the domain is literally "TopCars.com". Plus, as mentioned above, it would make for a pretty dull and forgettable domain.
You will have much more flexibility with an original domain, and it also will be easier for you to create a brand.

Kania

I like the words in front of the keyword better than a name. Have you also though about a unique brand name to use? That way you have something unique that relates to only you and your website.

ulterios

The market for keyword + enhancer word is pretty saturated, for starters, so it's something you should definitely keep into consideration.
Very true and it has been that way for some time. There used to be an SEO advantage to using domains like these but Google got wise and made a change. That's why these types of domains still get registered a lot. People still think their is the same SEO advantage that there was a few years back.

You will have much more flexibility with an original domain, and it also will be easier for you to create a brand.
I completely agree and that is what I always try to do when I am registering a new domain that I will be creating a site on. I like to have domains that are original, unique and are not like everything else that you see around. ;)

Ben

The market for keyword + enhancer word is pretty saturated, for starters, so it's something you should definitely keep into consideration. However, even if the domain you want is available and if you manage to snag the .com extension for it, I still wouldn't suggest getting it.
First of all, most enhancement words are also employed in the keyword metatag by most major companies in any niche (especially if it's something as big as cars), so by googling, for example, "top cars", it's more likely for viewers to find other bigger websites with a better SEO rank for those keywords than yours, even if the domain is literally "TopCars.com". Plus, as mentioned above, it would make for a pretty dull and forgettable domain.
Should I just forget using any kind of keyword in the domain and go for strictly a brand name type domain?

I like the words in front of the keyword better than a name. Have you also though about a unique brand name to use? That way you have something unique that relates to only you and your website.
I have thought about it but I really don't know which way I want to go yet. I'm still looking around for ideas.

Kania

I have thought about it but I really don't know which way I want to go yet. I'm still looking around for ideas.
I saw some websites before that help give you ideas for names. Have you tried those?

JohnQ

Personally I like unique names a lot better than keyword or personal names in domains but if you want to get one of those then I would not use the personal name choice. It just doesn't look as professional in my opinion.

Ben

I saw some websites before that help give you ideas for names. Have you tried those?
Oh yeah I have tried some of them. The suggestions they were making were just completely screwy though and made no sense. I might check some more to see though.

Personally I like unique names a lot better than keyword or personal names in domains but if you want to get one of those then I would not use the personal name choice. It just doesn't look as professional in my opinion.
Yeah I like those sometime myself. I just haven't found any that I like that are available to register.

JohnQ

Yeah I like those sometime myself. I just haven't found any that I like that are available to register.
Have you thought about using a country domain and working the extension into the name? Things like haveing a site about yellow school buses and using the .us extension for a domain like YellowB.us.

Ben

Have you thought about using a country domain and working the extension into the name? Things like haveing a site about yellow school buses and using the .us extension for a domain like YellowB.us.
I thought about it and looked a little at possibilities but I really don't want to use a country domain. Maybe if all else fails and there are no alternatives.

KeralMTG

Did you check to see what the top websites are using for their domain in the search results for your niche? This can maybe give you some ideas about what is working good for other websites.

JohnQ

I thought about it and looked a little at possibilities but I really don't want to use a country domain. Maybe if all else fails and there are no alternatives.
Some of those country domains are very widely used like the .io and the .tv extensions for example. I don't think it matters much these days.

Ben

Did you check to see what the top websites are using for their domain in the search results for your niche? This can maybe give you some ideas about what is working good for other websites.
I did that and most are .com domains. I only checked the first few pages in the Google search results though. Maybe farther down the list there are others.

Some of those country domains are very widely used like the .io and the .tv extensions for example. I don't think it matters much these days.
I forgot about the wide spread use of the .io domains. That might be one I look at. :Thumb:

JohnQ

I forgot about the wide spread use of the .io domains. That might be one I look at. :Thumb:
It depends if it's a good fit for the niche of your site also. Some of them work well with some niches like the .tv country domain works well for television niches obviously.

Ben

It depends if it's a good fit for the niche of your site also. Some of them work well with some niches like the .tv country domain works well for television niches obviously.
I hear you. I have been looking at other domain extensions today to see what other options I have. I haven't decided on anything yet but there is one in the .io that is available that would work.

JohnQ

I hear you. I have been looking at other domain extensions today to see what other options I have. I haven't decided on anything yet but there is one in the .io that is available that would work.
One thing I though about this morning is I was wondering if you have used a thesaurus to check for similar words with the same basic meaning. I have done that from time to time and found good alternatives.

Reactions: Ben

Ben

One thing I though about this morning is I was wondering if you have used a thesaurus to check for similar words with the same basic meaning. I have done that from time to time and found good alternatives.
I have done that in the past but I haven't done it this time. It slipped my mind.

I'll do that, thanks.