Do you do off-site backups?

Dean

Ok. I thought that the backups were stored somewhere else since they are done with softaculous. I guess I need to find something else to do for backups. Thanks
No they are stored on your hosting account and can be seen in the file manager area. I found out the hard way that having backups in multiple places is a must.

You can keep the Softaculous backups and then just do a manual backup time to time yourself or there are also services that you can get that will do them for you.

Maria Marketing

No they are stored on your hosting account and can be seen in the file manager area. I found out the hard way that having backups in multiple places is a must.

You can keep the Softaculous backups and then just do a manual backup time to time yourself or there are also services that you can get that will do them for you.
I was looking and their are some backup plugins for Wordpress that are available so I might look at one of those for doing my backups. Thanks

Dean

I was looking and their are some backup plugins for Wordpress that are available so I might look at one of those for doing my backups. Thanks
I have never used one of those myself but have briefly taken a look at a couple. I don't remember all the names off the top of my head but BackupBuddy from iThemes was one of them that I can recall.

I know that some can do backups and store them to places like DropBox or the Amazon Cloud which is a cool feature.

Maria Marketing

I have never used one of those myself but have briefly taken a look at a couple. I don't remember all the names off the top of my head but BackupBuddy from iThemes was one of them that I can recall.

I know that some can do backups and store them to places like DropBox or the Amazon Cloud which is a cool feature.
The Backup Buddy plugin is one that I was just looking at. I just don't know if I would be able to figure out how to set it up properly to do my backups.

SenseiSteve

I don't think you can ever be too safe concerning backups. Stuff happens and when it does, you don't want your online presence or store to go up in flames. Yes, I too keep multiple remote offsite backups.

ulterios

Stuff happens and when it does, you don't want your online presence or store to go up in flames.
Unfortunately way too many people learn this difficult lesson the hard way after they have either lost everything or lost most everything.

More people take what they consider the security of their website more seriously without realizing that backups should be considered as part of their security measures. ;)

JennyJ

I just started doing them myself recently after hearing about some horror stories where the web host lost all the backups and people lost their entire website because they didn't have their own backups stored somewhere else.

It took a little reading on how to do it best but I figured it out and have my own separate backups now.

Dean

I just started doing them myself recently after hearing about some horror stories where the web host lost all the backups and people lost their entire website because they didn't have their own backups stored somewhere else.

It took a little reading on how to do it best but I figured it out and have my own separate backups now.
Good for you Jenny! :Thumb:

Trust me, you do NOT want to have something unexpected happen and lose everything that you have created and built up just because you don't have backups.

I would not wish that on anyone because it can be very devastating!

KeralMTG

Yes I do backups and download them to my computer now in addition to the scheduled backups I have on my web hosting. I thought it was going to be harder to figure out but it was quite easy after all.

Dean

Yes I do backups and download them to my computer now in addition to the scheduled backups I have on my web hosting. I thought it was going to be harder to figure out but it was quite easy after all.
Great Keral, i'm glad to hear it. It's always better to play things safe and have backups in multiple locations in case something goes wrong.

Besides your own computer you can also store your backups on Google Drive, Dropbox or another similar storage service just in case something was to happen to your own computer.

KeralMTG

Great Keral, i'm glad to hear it. It's always better to play things safe and have backups in multiple locations in case something goes wrong.

Besides your own computer you can also store your backups on Google Drive, Dropbox or another similar storage service just in case something was to happen to your own computer.
Do I upload the backups myself or is there another way to do it directly to those kinds of storage places?

What about the size of backups too?

Dean

Do I upload the backups myself or is there another way to do it directly to those kinds of storage places?

What about the size of backups too?
Well, you can download them to your computer and then upload them yourself or there are some plugins for Wordpress and some of the other CMS's that can do it directly for you.

I have never used any of the plugins for that purpose but that is a possible option if you would like something of that sort.