2 Smaller Blogs or 1 Big Blog?

Ellen F

If I were you then I would create just one blog but it would be catered to different keyword groups. Focus on posting atleast one article of atleast 1k+ words and sprinkle a lot of LSI keywords on your blog. No need to go for two blogs targeting different niches when you can cover both the niches alone in one blog.
If the niches are different from one another then is it still ok to put both on the same blog?

Catherine1

I know that some people like to put them all on 1 blog but I usually like to have things separate that way they are more specialized for 1 certain thing. If they are a lot alike then you can do 2 if you wanted though and that is what I might do in that case.

Ellen F

I know that some people like to put them all on 1 blog but I usually like to have things separate that way they are more specialized for 1 certain thing. If they are a lot alike then you can do 2 if you wanted though and that is what I might do in that case.
I was thinking about that at on point myself. I was thinking that a more specialized blog might be more popular since it would cater to one thing.

Catherine1

I was thinking about that at on point myself. I was thinking that a more specialized blog might be more popular since it would cater to one thing.
It might help to get a more targeted group of people that come to your blog and that way you get market the things that best fit that exact group of people and maybe even get more sales.

Ellen F

It might help to get a more targeted group of people that come to your blog and that way you get market the things that best fit that exact group of people and maybe even get more sales.
That's a good point. Having something that is more specialized might make success and sales easier.

Catherine1

That's a good point. Having something that is more specialized might make success and sales easier.
I read somewhere that specialization can help get traffic because there is less competition in specialized areas versus in a broad area niche.

Ellen F

I read somewhere that specialization can help get traffic because there is less competition in specialized areas versus in a broad area niche.
I saw something about that last year myself. I'll just have to figure out what to specialize in.

KeralMTG

It just depends on what you want. If you want it to be easier then just make 1 big blog. This way it will get more traffic. If you want them separate then do that. I like the idea of 1 big one myself.

Ellen F

@KeralMTG I like the idea of making things easier but I was just wondering if it would be better for the blogs or not. Things like SEO and the rankings. These are areas that I don't know enough about to know what's best in those regards.

@Jesica123 If they are different categories then should I just make 2 separate blogs?

KeralMTG

@KeralMTG I like the idea of making things easier but I was just wondering if it would be better for the blogs or not. Things like SEO and the rankings. These are areas that I don't know enough about to know what's best in those regards.

@Jesica123 If they are different categories then should I just make 2 separate blogs?
I'm not a pro at SEO so I don't know for sure the affects it will have. I think that it would help you to rank for more keywords by having them on 1 blog but I don't know if maybe it's better to concentrate your keywords to not so many of them.

JoeMilford

For me, the answer to this question depends upon the content. For instance, I most likely would not pair together a travel blog and a blog about technology issues together; however, I would make one blog about technology to improve travel--in other words, I would link the two topics together. If the topics are not somehow compatible, I would create a separate blog for each.

Ellen F

For me, the answer to this question depends upon the content. For instance, I most likely would not pair together a travel blog and a blog about technology issues together; however, I would make one blog about technology to improve travel--in other words, I would link the two topics together. If the topics are not somehow compatible, I would create a separate blog for each.
So if I find a way to make them seem related then it would then be OK to put the 2 on just one blog?

shilpa

I prefer writing a big blog than writing two smaller ones. The reason being that when you are putting some effort, it's always better to put s little bit more of your efforts. This way you're likely to succeed more in whatever you're palnning to do, for example, trying to make people aware, or selling a product or a service, or getting your ideas among the people. It's better to be as explicit as possible than being short and unclear. I have done my first blog on women issues. It was a huge success, because I chose to make people aware of several facts that many are not aware of. I elaborated many of the unknown things which many people liked and appreciated. So I able to spread the message which I wanted to. So in my opinion it's better to do one large elaborate blog than two smaller ones.

vinaya

I am wanting to get into 2 different niches for a couple of new blogs and was wondering if it would be better to have a separate blog for each niche or 1 bigger blog that covers both niches.

I don't know enough to know which would be the better way to do things so I am hoping that some experienced bloggers and marketers can help me out with some advice.

What's the best way to go?
What do you mean by small blog and big blog? Are you categorizing blogs based on how many topics it covers. Are you saying a small blog is a blog that covers one topic and big blog is the one that covers many topics.
I don't like the idea of having too many topics on one blog. Do you want some poems to apper in the middle of the pages of the novel you are reading. You certainly don't want that. Thing your blog in this way. One or possible two topics per blog is better than having too many topics.

luispas

From all the things I've read I find much more viable to have a big one blog. You need to focus in it, dedicate your time and money, create new content and try to make more people come. So, it's better to stay very active and do everything for 1 place, than be divided. I think if you do that you will end up leaving one blog aside.

Ellen F

I prefer writing a big blog than writing two smaller ones. The reason being that when you are putting some effort, it's always better to put s little bit more of your efforts. This way you're likely to succeed more in whatever you're palnning to do, for example, trying to make people aware, or selling a product or a service, or getting your ideas among the people. It's better to be as explicit as possible than being short and unclear. I have done my first blog on women issues. It was a huge success, because I chose to make people aware of several facts that many are not aware of. I elaborated many of the unknown things which many people liked and appreciated. So I able to spread the message which I wanted to. So in my opinion it's better to do one large elaborate blog than two smaller ones.
That's what I was thinking from the start. I just thought that splitting my efforts and time between 2 blogs would not give me as much success as putting everything into just 1 single blog.

What do you mean by small blog and big blog? Are you categorizing blogs based on how many topics it covers. Are you saying a small blog is a blog that covers one topic and big blog is the one that covers many topics.
I don't like the idea of having too many topics on one blog. Do you want some poems to apper in the middle of the pages of the novel you are reading. You certainly don't want that. Thing your blog in this way. One or possible two topics per blog is better than having too many topics.
I was meaning by having 2 separate blogs that only cover one topic or niche or having 1 big blog that has 2 topics or niches on the same blog. Just putting everything that would normally be on 2 blogs into a single blog that has the content of both.

From all the things I've read I find much more viable to have a big one blog. You need to focus in it, dedicate your time and money, create new content and try to make more people come. So, it's better to stay very active and do everything for 1 place, than be divided. I think if you do that you will end up leaving one blog aside.
That is one reason I though about having just one bigger blog. Then I could put all the posts and everything on 1 and it will have more activity and updates than 2 separate blogs.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnQ

I have always been the type of person that likes to make things easy so I would go with 1 bigger blog but ONLY if the 2 niches belong together.

If they are too different then I would do 2 separate blogs so it looks better and will probably be better from a rankings point.

Ellen F

I have always been the type of person that likes to make things easy so I would go with 1 bigger blog but ONLY if the 2 niches belong together.

If they are too different then I would do 2 separate blogs so it looks better and will probably be better from a rankings point.
I have been doing some looking at other blogs and I have seen some that have the same 2 niches on them that I was thinking so I will probably just go that route. Thanks for your reply. :)

JohnQ

I have been doing some looking at other blogs and I have seen some that have the same 2 niches on them that I was thinking so I will probably just go that route. Thanks for your reply. :)
Sure. :D

I have seen 2 different niches covered on the same blog before on a number of times that I wouldn't think of putting together but it seemed to work so I don't think it matters a whole lot these days.