Who is your favorite domain registrar?

alexanderzx360

I've personally used Godaddy for registering three domains. I've also hosted one of them and was fine with it, but people have told me that it's not that great for hosting.

Namecheap is good if you're looking for the cheapest domains on the internet, but I'd go for Godaddy if you don't have a tough money situation for your website.

Cheers!

vinaya

Namecheap of course. All of my domains are registered with namecheap. Godaddy was the first domain registrar that I came to know and is also the first domain registrar where I created my account. Howerver, I never registred domains with godaddy. When I found namecheap, I created my account immediately and bought my first domain.

Dean

I've personally used Godaddy for registering three domains. I've also hosted one of them and was fine with it, but people have told me that it's not that great for hosting.

Namecheap is good if you're looking for the cheapest domains on the internet, but I'd go for Godaddy if you don't have a tough money situation for your website.

Cheers!
GoDaddy hosting is ok but they do have lower limits on things like RAM and other server resource allowances in their lower plans compared to many other web hosting services.

If you have a small site with low traffic then you will probably be ok most of the time but for a more active or bigger site then you will want to maybe look elsewhere.

Namecheap of course. All of my domains are registered with namecheap. Godaddy was the first domain registrar that I came to know and is also the first domain registrar where I created my account. Howerver, I never registred domains with godaddy. When I found namecheap, I created my account immediately and bought my first domain.
Namecheap is a great registrar and I am sure that you will be happy with them and glad you chose to use them.

Namecheap and Gandi have both served me well in the past. They had excellent prices and good offers (Namecheap's domains sold for less than a buck have become quite famous), and also good support.
I have never tried GoDaddy, but if I have to formulate an opinion on it from what I've heard... well, I hope they're better domain registrars than they are hosting providers. It's probably a safer bet, though, since domains don't take up any physical resources.

Dean

Namecheap and Gandi have both served me well in the past. They had excellent prices and good offers (Namecheap's domains sold for less than a buck have become quite famous), and also good support.
I have never tried GoDaddy, but if I have to formulate an opinion on it from what I've heard... well, I hope they're better domain registrars than they are hosting providers. It's probably a safer bet, though, since domains don't take up any physical resources.
I haven't tried Gandi myself. That's one of the few major domain registrars that I haven't tried. I do know that they are popular in Europe and have known may people that have said good things about them.

I do think that GoDaddy is a better domain registrar than a host and the only real problem that I have head with them over the years was that if I ever had to call them on the phone for any kind of service or support I always had to deal with their constant upselling and pushing you to buy other services. Other than that I like them but I do have a couple others I prefer.

I do think that GoDaddy is a better domain registrar than a host and the only real problem that I have head with them over the years was that if I ever had to call them on the phone for any kind of service or support I always had to deal with their constant upselling and pushing you to buy other services. Other than that I like them but I do have a couple others I prefer.

Haha, I guess that's fairly predictable on their side, considering how much they push their other products even on their website. It's good they're offering a phone support service at all, anyway. At least you're guaranteed to hear back from them, unlike with emails.

Dean

Haha, I guess that's fairly predictable on their side, considering how much they push their other products even on their website. It's good they're offering a phone support service at all, anyway. At least you're guaranteed to hear back from them, unlike with emails.
Yeah, it is but they sure do know how to take things to a whole new level. Sometimes I wonder if they only hire people that have previous experience in the used car sales field. LOL

Yeah, it is but they sure do know how to take things to a whole new level. Sometimes I wonder if they only hire people that have previous experience in the used car sales field. LOL
Hahaha, they may as well be, given how determined they seem. It's an aggressive policy, but their prices are so low they probably need to stack more services to make a decent income out of multiple customers.
I mean, yeah, that doesn't justify the whole "promotion during a call you have supposedly make just to get support" thing, but that's how things go for them.

Dean

Hahaha, they may as well be, given how determined they seem. It's an aggressive policy, but their prices are so low they probably need to stack more services to make a decent income out of multiple customers.
I mean, yeah, that doesn't justify the whole "promotion during a call you have supposedly make just to get support" thing, but that's how things go for them.
Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the need to push extra and/or additional services but I have been on the phone with them before and while we were going through resolving an issue the person I was dealing with was just pestering me over and over about extra services even when I said that I was not interested.

I understand it's their job but I do know people who have left them because of the constant barrage of sales pitches over and over again. You have to draw the line somewhere.

JohnQ

My favorite years ago was Network Solutions because they were the first one that I used and they were good to me with my support needs.

Then they became a pain to transfer a domain away from them and I had to place a call to verify that I wanted to transfer. On that call they tried to pressure me to stay and wouldn't give up. After that I stopped using them.

Now I have been with Register.com and Namecheap.com and both have been really good.

Dean

My favorite years ago was Network Solutions because they were the first one that I used and they were good to me with my support needs.

Then they became a pain to transfer a domain away from them and I had to place a call to verify that I wanted to transfer. On that call they tried to pressure me to stay and wouldn't give up. After that I stopped using them.

Now I have been with Register.com and Namecheap.com and both have been really good.
I used to use Network Solutions many, many years ago when they were the only registrar you could use. Their prices were what made me leave when the registrar choices started to expand.

They are ok but their prices still are way higher than the other big registrars.

I have noticed that a lot of big companies still use them. Probably because they have been with them for so long and don't care about a $20 difference in domain costs.

JohnQ

I used to use Network Solutions many, many years ago when they were the only registrar you could use. Their prices were what made me leave when the registrar choices started to expand.

They are ok but their prices still are way higher than the other big registrars.

I have noticed that a lot of big companies still use them. Probably because they have been with them for so long and don't care about a $20 difference in domain costs.
That's for sure. I think they are relying on their long time familiarity with some people and businesses. A price drop would be a good way to bring in new customers though.

Dean

That's for sure. I think they are relying on their long time familiarity with some people and businesses. A price drop would be a good way to bring in new customers though.
Well a lot of people will stay with a registrar for the entire life of a website so they have a lot of customers that have been with them for a long time and just don't know anything about switching registrars.

I agree that a price drop would surely help them. I know that a couple of years ago they were running specials for .com registrations for $.50, so they do have discounts sometimes. It's the renewals that will hurt the wallet for the most part.

JohnQ

Well a lot of people will stay with a registrar for the entire life of a website so they have a lot of customers that have been with them for a long time and just don't know anything about switching registrars.

I agree that a price drop would surely help them. I know that a couple of years ago they were running specials for .com registrations for $.50, so they do have discounts sometimes. It's the renewals that will hurt the wallet for the most part.
I don't remember seeing those 50 cent specials but that was probable after I got away from the online world for a little while.

Dean

I don't remember seeing those 50 cent specials but that was probable after I got away from the online world for a little while.
They usually showed up in search results in the search engine results pages after you searched for something to do with cheap domains.