what is the effective length of a video tutorial?

Hi
I want to know what would be the effective length of a video tutorial. Because we wall know no one want's a huge video for which he/she had to stuck their eyes on the screen for a lot of time. Then what would be the effective length that every person would watch with full interest?

PTTed

Hi
I want to know what would be the effective length of a video tutorial. Because we wall know no one want's a huge video for which he/she had to stuck their eyes on the screen for a lot of time. Then what would be the effective length that every person would watch with full interest?

I think the answer to this question is self evident. The video needs to be as long as it needs to be to teach whatever it is you are trying to teach people. Maybe that takes 30 seconds. Maybe that takes an hour. It depends on the situation.

Here is a video I watched recently to see how hard it would be to install some door actuators for power locks on a car.
That video was the perfect length for that situation and went into just enough detail to make the job really simple. I think that video is a great example of how long to make a tutorial.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark007

I think the answer to this question is self evident. The video needs to be as long as it needs to be to teach whatever it is you are trying to teach people. Maybe that takes 30 seconds. Maybe that takes an hour. It depends on the situation.

That is the exact thing to be considered for a good video tutorial. It should be sufficient to make people learn at a single go and also not too long and brief that people quit in between or have to repeat it twice or thrice to know the exact steps to follow. Apart from that it depends on the tutorial that you are recording.

Here is a video I watched recently to see how hard it would be to install some door actuators for power locks on a car.
That video was the perfect length for that situation and went into just enough detail to make the job really simple. I think that video is a great example of how long to make a tutorial.
Yeah that video was exactly the best length and I think if I made videos of 10-25 minutes long, people won't get distracted and will watch the tutorial to the end. :)

That is the exact thing to be considered for a good video tutorial. It should be sufficient to make people learn at a single go and also not too long and brief that people quit in between or have to repeat it twice or thrice to know the exact steps to follow. Apart from that it depends on the tutorial that you are recording.
I also think that I should not make long videos it will make the people not to focus on tutorial and even end the video. The best practice should be creating the tutorial in parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
It varies. If it makes sense to break it up into parts, then do it. If not then don't. Some popular video tutorials (excess 100k views) I have on YouTube are an hour long. Many are 10 minutes or less.

It depends on the nature of the tutorial but I guess it should not be more than 4-5 minutes so everybody can get time to watch the tutorial.
Yes I was also concentrating on this point that I get much visitors and they too watch the video with full interest. That's why I think that the video must not be longer than 10-20 minutes.