Should I register the .net version of my .com domain?

JennyJ

Then just do whatever you think you would prefer to do. If you don't mind spending the extra money each year then get it and if you do mind then don't.
I will but I was looking for some input here. I will probably just get it and then hold onto it for a year to think about if I want to keep renewing it long term.

JohnQ

I will but I was looking for some input here. I will probably just get it and then hold onto it for a year to think about if I want to keep renewing it long term.
I understand that and I think that registering it for the year while trying to decide to keep it is a good idea.

Catherine1

The other thing to consider is that if you decide you want it later and someone else has it and has made a website on it then they might not want to sell it to you or at least not sell it to you cheap. This way you get to have it cheap enough that it should not make a difference at any point later on.
You are right about it being cheap. What else can you buy that cheap for the purpose of protecting yourself and your success?

Marcos

You may register it if you like but unless you are a top website or have a very popular name for your domain then you will probably not need it. You may register it if that gives you piece of mind though.

JennyJ

You are right about it being cheap. What else can you buy that cheap for the purpose of protecting yourself and your success?
That's a good point and a good reason why I might just get it.
You may register it if you like but unless you are a top website or have a very popular name for your domain then you will probably not need it. You may register it if that gives you piece of mind though.
It might do just that. I'll probably get it.

Traveler

I don't think you should need the .net domain for just a simple blog unless you think it might become a big one that is very popular. If it never gets big then it is just a waste of money.

JennyJ

I don't think you should need the .net domain for just a simple blog unless you think it might become a big one that is very popular. If it never gets big then it is just a waste of money.
I don't know how big it will become. What if I don't register it and then later my blog become big but someone grabs it before I can get it?

Traveler

I don't know how big it will become. What if I don't register it and then later my blog become big but someone grabs it before I can get it?
That is a chance you will be taking if you don't register it. If you want to pay $10-15USD per year for insurance then you can register it yourself.

JennyJ

That is a chance you will be taking if you don't register it. If you want to pay $10-15USD per year for insurance then you can register it yourself.
Someone else mentioned something like that. I will probably register it just to be safe.