Should I register the .net version of my .com domain?

JennyJ

I was wondering if it is a good idea to register the .net version of my .com domain I am using for my blog but I don't know if I should or just not waste the money.

Is it good to register the .net version just to make sure that nobody else gets it?

Melker

If you do not mind paying for 2 domains each year then you can do it if you want. That way it will keep someone else from getting it and trying to charge you a high price if you want it later.

JennyJ

If you do not mind paying for 2 domains each year then you can do it if you want. That way it will keep someone else from getting it and trying to charge you a high price if you want it later.
I don't mind paying for 2 of them if there is a good reason to do it. I don't want to pay for 2 if it's pointless though. That's why I asked about if there was a good reason. I might just do it and later decide if i want to keep having 2.

Catherine1

I was wondering about this myself too. I saw some articles that said that sometime other people will register the other versions of a successful website's domain and hold it hostage for a large amount of money.

The one for my blog is available in the .net still and I was thinking about registering it but I don't know that I should. I'll probably wait and see what is posted here to see if I am convinced one way or another.

Melker

I don't mind paying for 2 of them if there is a good reason to do it. I don't want to pay for 2 if it's pointless though. That's why I asked about if there was a good reason. I might just do it and later decide if i want to keep having 2.
If you just go ahead and register the .net you would then have a year to decide if you want to keep renewing it or not. You would only be out the 1 year registration fee if you decide not to keep it.

JennyJ

I was wondering about this myself too. I saw some articles that said that sometime other people will register the other versions of a successful website's domain and hold it hostage for a large amount of money.

The one for my blog is available in the .net still and I was thinking about registering it but I don't know that I should. I'll probably wait and see what is posted here to see if I am convinced one way or another.
I read some things like that too and that is part of why I asked this question. I might just register it just to keep someone from using it.

Catherine1

I read some things like that too and that is part of why I asked this question. I might just register it just to keep someone from using it.
I have thought about that myself ever since I first registered my domain. I just don't know if my blog will ever get big enough that someone would even think about doing that.

Dean

It can be a good idea or it can be a waste of money depending on several things.

Ask yourself these questions:

Are you planning on keeping your other domain name for a long time and grow it or is it just something for right now?

How important is it to you to have your brand/website kept to yourself?

If your site grows and becomes a big success, are you willing to pay more for the .net domain later?

Do you want someone else to have the .net version of your domain and use it for something bad?

Do you mind paying basically double the domain renewal fees every year?

You just have to ask yourself a few questions like these and that should tell you if you should register the .net version of your .com domain.

KeralMTG

If you think you might need it some time later then you should so no other person grabs it up but if you are not going to need it then save your money. Most of the small blogs that are not real big do not have the .net domains for their .coms.

JennyJ

I have thought about that myself ever since I first registered my domain. I just don't know if my blog will ever get big enough that someone would even think about doing that.
You have to think positive that it will and maybe take some actions as if it is going to be successful. Maybe registering other domains to be safe is part of that. I read something like that somewhere.
It can be a good idea or it can be a waste of money depending on several things.

Ask yourself these questions:

Are you planning on keeping your other domain name for a long time and grow it or is it just something for right now?

How important is it to you to have your brand/website kept to yourself?

If your site grows and becomes a big success, are you willing to pay more for the .net domain later?

Do you want someone else to have the .net version of your domain and use it for something bad?

Do you mind paying basically double the domain renewal fees every year?

You just have to ask yourself a few questions like these and that should tell you if you should register the .net version of your .com domain.
I am planning on keeping my domain as long as I am using the blog that is on it.

I do understand your points and since you put those questions it is making me think that I will register it since it's pretty cheap to protect my brand.

Thanks Dean.
If you think you might need it some time later then you should so no other person grabs it up but if you are not going to need it then save your money. Most of the small blogs that are not real big do not have the .net domains for their .coms.
I don't think I would really use the .net domain ever but I might just buy it to protect my brand.

Dean

I am planning on keeping my domain as long as I am using the blog that is on it.

I do understand your points and since you put those questions it is making me think that I will register it since it's pretty cheap to protect my brand.

Thanks Dean.
You are welcome Jenny and I think that you will be happy that you did buy the .net domain after you have it. It's just a cheap measure of security for protecting your brand.

Maliaca22

For me i think you should think about the positive results like Dean said, which is if you want to keep your other domain name for a long time and how important you want to have your brand/website kept to yourself without someone having the .net version of your domain. It's your choice.

Will247

If you don't mind spending a little extra money then it seems like a good idea to protect yourself and your online name.

Given the low cost of domains having at least the .com and .net domains seems like it would be worth the insurance and piece of mind.

Catherine1

You have to think positive that it will and maybe take some actions as if it is going to be successful. Maybe registering other domains to be safe is part of that. I read something like that somewhere.
I don't think that I have read anything like that but it does sound reasonable. The price is cheap enough that it acts like cheap insurance.

Ben

I would look at it from the point of whether or not you want someone trying to buy it later if you achieve a good level of success just to keep them from riding along with your success by putting up some mimic or trash site on it if you don't have it.

JennyJ

I don't think that I have read anything like that but it does sound reasonable. The price is cheap enough that it acts like cheap insurance.
The other thing to consider is that if you decide you want it later and someone else has it and has made a website on it then they might not want to sell it to you or at least not sell it to you cheap. This way you get to have it cheap enough that it should not make a difference at any point later on.

JohnQ

I always register the .net if I have the .com just to make sure that nobody else gets it. It's just a personal preference because I see many site owners don't do it.

ulterios

The way that I have decided if I want to register the .net version of any .com domains that I have is if I care about the site that I build on the .com enough to want to protect my work, brand and everything I put into the site.

If you care enough about the site then spending the few dollars it takes to hold the .net also should be in your best interests.

JennyJ

I always register the .net if I have the .com just to make sure that nobody else gets it. It's just a personal preference because I see many site owners don't do it.
I have seen that for some websites myself which is why I was not sure if I should buy it or not.
The way that I have decided if I want to register the .net version of any .com domains that I have is if I care about the site that I build on the .com enough to want to protect my work, brand and everything I put into the site.

If you care enough about the site then spending the few dollars it takes to hold the .net also should be in your best interests.
I care about my work and brand but just didn't know if having the .net would really matter or not. I'll probably just get it anyway just because it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

JohnQ

I have seen that for some websites myself which is why I was not sure if I should buy it or not.
Then just do whatever you think you would prefer to do. If you don't mind spending the extra money each year then get it and if you do mind then don't.