Minimalistic style over other designs

alexanderzx360

I've been looking to recently created webpages (I'm making one along with a friend and we need to get ideas) and I realized the minimalistic-type style of web design is getting really popular, for example, big webpages like Uphold, use it for a fast and easy user interface.

My webpage is something that handles economic values and has to be updated everyday, so maybe it would benefit from this minimalistic style, I can't say more because the idea is still evolving, but what do you think?

Minimalistic design is just the natural reaction to the overbloated style usually employed in the past decades. I guess it's also due to people's attention span gradually decreasing over the years, so it became more important for designers to put a focus on the elements you want your viewers to see.
I'm personally all in for it, as long as you give it a touch of your personal style with some peculiarities or little details. You want people to think "Oh, I saw that thing there first".

alexanderzx360

Minimalistic design is just the natural reaction to the overbloated style usually employed in the past decades. I guess it's also due to people's attention span gradually decreasing over the years, so it became more important for designers to put a focus on the elements you want your viewers to see.
I'm personally all in for it, as long as you give it a touch of your personal style with some peculiarities or little details. You want people to think "Oh, I saw that thing there first".

I feel exactly the same way as you do, looking at websites from only 10 years ago and you can see that they were overbloated with information, banners, images, videos and anything the designer could imagine. There was no feel of free space as today. I rather go to the safe style that I know audience will like, and this way get to focus the viewers on specific stuff on my web.

Cheers!

luispas

I love the minimalism, it's a great style that you definitely should have on your webpage. Some say "Sometimes less is better" and I'm agree, you can have more people interested on your page just because of its appearance, trust me. I was once on a design forum, it was a mess, it has so many things everywhere, the colors where so dark, months later the administrators decided to change the forum skin and modify everything. The result was a white forum, with red and blue icons, everyone was obsessed with it, that made us happy and it felt so smooth. So I recommend to do something like that, simple and bright :)

joehue

I share with you the same concern, may be minimalist design is close of what you would call experience design, means that the user experience, usability, enjoyment of the user is more important then designing just for the sake of it.

Nomnom

Today, it's all about being user friendly. Presenting a layout that is easy to navigate and use has been the trend as of late and I'm also very in to it. It focuses on the content that you want visitors to see. Aside from the ease of use, minimalistic designs are also pleasant to look at.

When I create a website, I usually go for flat themes. These themes are minimalistic in general. They look professional and clean and elegant. However, I always have the urge to put things that are in excess of what should be included in the website. It's kinda hard to control that urge.

I feel exactly the same way as you do, looking at websites from only 10 years ago and you can see that they were overbloated with information, banners, images, videos and anything the designer could imagine. There was no feel of free space as today. I rather go to the safe style that I know audience will like, and this way get to focus the viewers on specific stuff on my web.

Cheers!

If you want to be safe, then a flat/minimalistic style is definitely the safest choice you have. Being so widely used means people have gotten used to it by now, and your users will be way more likely to enjoy a theme they're familiar with. It gives a nice sense of unity and coherence that's oddly satisfying. Go for it!

Dean

I have seen a lot of sites that were using a minimalistic style and based on what I have seen there are some that look real nice and some that look kind of cheap.

I think that it all depends on exactly how well you make the elements of the pages work together and the color choices that you use.

I have personally had some sites that were minimalistic and some that have been more elaborate. I really liked how some of the minimalistic sites turned out but others I have scrapped because I didn't like how they looked.

The only thing that I can really recommend is that maybe you just look at a lot of minimalistic sites and get some good ideas from all of them and incorporate them into your design and see how they look.

KeralMTG

I don't know how good it will look for an economic website but if you just have a nice and clean looking design then it might work ok. Most of the minimalistic websites I have seen look old or like they are cheap websites and for economic websites I think that can maybe hurt the trust of your visitors to the website.

Ben

Some types of sites might look good with a minimalistic design but with some others it can make them look cheap and low-quality in my opinion.

It probably depends on what the type of people you are hoping to attract usually like.