Managed and Un-managed Servers: The Difference

DDSVPSHOST

One of the most frequent questions that I receive from potential clients looking for their first dedicated server every now and then is, "What is the difference between an unmanaged and a managed server?" The first thing that comes to mind is whether or not they need a manage server or not. "If you don't know, then you need a managed server," but I always try to be a little more helpful than that and explain the difference to them.

Generally with a Managed Server, a hosting plan is made up of a number of different components. The most basic component is the server hardware itself. The server usually has an operating system installed and various kinds of software used for running websites.
In addition, hosting companies may also offer various services such as automated backups, malware scanning and removal, status monitoring, security sweeps, and more.
These additional features are management services, which is where the “managed” part of the term “managed hosting” comes into play. In essence, managed hosting simply refers to a hosting plan that comes with a number of additional benefits or services.

On the other hand, with an unmanaged server, we setup the hardware, install the OS and a control panel if one is ordered and maintain the network and hardware. Things like installing scripts and software, troubleshooting configuration issues, setting up firewall rules, etc. are all up to the client. Many of our clients have years of experience working with servers and have no problems with this concept of operation while others don’t. For those who’ve got experience with managed servers, we only hear from them maybe once or twice a year when they put in a ticket for a reboot and that is it. Even for those clients I recommend our monitoring services, but as far as support goes, they don't generally need it.

As for the clients that come to us for their first dedicated server, they are often in a different playing field altogether. Some are web developers, programmers, app developers that have written a web app they are looking to launch, some are growing e-commerce sites which have surpassed the resources of the shared hosting accounts that they started with, and some are businesses just looking for a stable platform to host their company website. This type of client wants a platform that just works so that they can do their thing, and they are the perfect candidates for our managed services.

With our managed servers, we provide major services and several other optional services.
Visit our site to know more and avail a suitable plan for your business.

hmb-robert

For newbie in hosting will always suggest to signup for Managed servers rather than Un-managed servers.

Maria Marketing

Nice post with lots of good information for us that are new to these differences. If I ever need a dedicated server, I will keep this bookmarked for reference on deciding on if I need managed or unmanaged.

Another member here has recently shared some good information on a vps (Thanks @Waqass ), so I think that this might be similar to what they told me about that.

I'm learning all sorts of new information on hosting today! :)

Dean

Nice post with lots of good information to help people understand the differences.

I don't think many common people really understand what "Managed" and Unmanaged" means in hosting terms. This is some good basic information to help people know the basic differences so that they can understand what exactly theu would be getting by purchasing one or the other.

Nice informative post!

Cheers, Dean

jpy

I'm guessing unmanaged servers would be a good deal, assuming you were very smart about running a server. I mean, a big deal of justification for the high cost of servers and whatnot is the all the support that is needed. However, though, it's a good thing not everyone can work with unmanaged servers (or unmanaged VPSs) - cause it would lower the profits of the industry.