Is OVH VPS hosting good?

Marcos

I have been thinking of the possibility of getting a VPS and moving away from shared web hosting and upon searching for a VPS provider I found one called OVH. Their prices are really inexpensive so it has me worried that their hosting services might not be good.

Does anyone know if OVH is a good web hosting provider?

Dean

OVH is a real good VPS provider with a solid reputation but they don't have managed hosting services so you would have to do most everything yourself.

If you don't mind doing the upkeep and maintenance for yourself then I would say go with them.

JohnQ

They were 1 of the hosting companies I was looking into when I thought about getting a vps and they seemed to have specs that are better than the others I saw.

I gave up on wanting to get a vps right now since I don't know how to do all the setup and security stuff but if I decide to get 1 later it will probably be them that I try out first.

Marcos

OVH is a real good VPS provider with a solid reputation but they don't have managed hosting services so you would have to do most everything yourself.

If you don't mind doing the upkeep and maintenance for yourself then I would say go with them.
I don't mind doing that myself but I need to learn everything that is required. I will have to do some reading about it and see what needs to be done. Thanks for your share of info.
They were 1 of the hosting companies I was looking into when I thought about getting a vps and they seemed to have specs that are better than the others I saw.

I gave up on wanting to get a vps right now since I don't know how to do all the setup and security stuff but if I decide to get 1 later it will probably be them that I try out first.
I do not yet know all things I need myself but i was thinking about getting 1 of them for trying things out. It is cheap enough to get monthly just for learning purposes.

ulterios

I have seen a lot of negative reviews and posts about OVH around but most of what I have seen is because people didn't realize what they were getting when they got OVH hosting.

All of their services are completely unmanaged which means that unless their is a hardware issue then it's your responsibility. They do nothing with the software end of things, just the actual physical hardware where the VPS's and dedicated servers are on.

Their support is slower than many people want, even to tell you that it is for you to handle because it is a software issue and some people get upset about that.

They provide great prices for VPS's and dedicated servers with good equipment being used but if you need any kind of support then you would need to get some kind of managed VPS or dedicated server.

I would recommend them if you plan on doing your own maintenance and upkeep as you can get a lot of resources for better prices than most other places offering similar services.

Traveler

I checked on OVH when I was thinking about getting a vps server for my blog and because I wanted better performance than shared web hosting but the idea of having no support for anything was a little intimidating since I sometimes need the support.

Their prices were really good and I heard their servers are good quality but I am still not too comfortable with not having any support yet.

Melker

When I was thinking about getting vps hosting I was looking at a lot of different providers and OVH seemed to have the best prices based on resources. Things like RAM were a lot better with their plans than with others.

The only thing I noticed is that their storage space they give in their plans is a little lower that I would like and than some others but I guess you can always buy more.

JohnQ

I do not yet know all things I need myself but i was thinking about getting 1 of them for trying things out. It is cheap enough to get monthly just for learning purposes.
I have been thinking about getting one for myself too for testing uses and trying to get it going real nice. I have been doing a little reading about it when I can to try to improve the learning curve a little.

KeralMTG

Are you talking about ovh.com? I searched for ovh vps and the website it showed was in french so I don't know if that is the 1 or not. They have cheap prices it looks like.

Marcos

I have seen a lot of negative reviews and posts about OVH around but most of what I have seen is because people didn't realize what they were getting when they got OVH hosting.

All of their services are completely unmanaged which means that unless their is a hardware issue then it's your responsibility. They do nothing with the software end of things, just the actual physical hardware where the VPS's and dedicated servers are on.

Their support is slower than many people want, even to tell you that it is for you to handle because it is a software issue and some people get upset about that.

They provide great prices for VPS's and dedicated servers with good equipment being used but if you need any kind of support then you would need to get some kind of managed VPS or dedicated server.

I would recommend them if you plan on doing your own maintenance and upkeep as you can get a lot of resources for better prices than most other places offering similar services.
Yes I saw that their services were for just the vps only and no support. I would be happy with that since their prices are very good. I just need to learn more about server setups and the maintenance works.
When I was thinking about getting vps hosting I was looking at a lot of different providers and OVH seemed to have the best prices based on resources. Things like RAM were a lot better with their plans than with others.

The only thing I noticed is that their storage space they give in their plans is a little lower that I would like and than some others but I guess you can always buy more.
I noticed that same thing and that is a part of why I have considered using them.
Are you talking about ovh.com? I searched for ovh vps and the website it showed was in french so I don't know if that is the 1 or not. They have cheap prices it looks like.
Yes that is the one I am talking about. Sorry for not making that clear.

ulterios

I would be happy with that since their prices are very good.
Yes they are, especially when you consider the resources amounts in comparison to similar VPS services elsewhere.

I just need to learn more about server setups and the maintenance works.
I have some things that I still need to learn more about myself. Sometimes it just takes doing some searching around and reading. I have just been too busy lately to do the searching and reading like I want. ;)

Ben

I know that their service does not include support but I saw that there have been a lot of complaints about them taking very long to reply to support that was related to things that were not software related.

You might want to search Google and see for yourself if any of the complaints are about things they are responsible for.

I know they are for unmanaged services but some of the issues seemed like things they should take care of themself in a reasonable time frame.

ulterios

I know that their service does not include support but I saw that there have been a lot of complaints about them taking very long to reply to support that was related to things that were not software related.

You might want to search Google and see for yourself if any of the complaints are about things they are responsible for.

I know they are for unmanaged services but some of the issues seemed like things they should take care of themself in a reasonable time frame.
It does seem like they should respond to some things quickly and from what I have heard they do but some things take longer that most people would like.

If you are paying such a low price for services and getting good specs and equipment then you really can't complain too much.

Places where support is much better will cost you a lot more money. ;)

KeralMTG

Yes that is the one I am talking about. Sorry for not making that clear.
No worries mate. I saw their prices and they seem really good compare to other vps hosting. I was reading that many people who are video gaming use a vps for game servers and they use ovh.com.

ulterios

I had used ovh vps before but they are very slow.....
I had a VPS there a couple of months ago for testing purposes and it didn't seem slow to me. It might have had something to do with the fact that I was not using it for a website that was getting traffic but just for testing some setup things and control panels so maybe a live site might be a different story though.