Is it good to buy an email list to start a marketing campaign?

Storm

I've been wanting to start doing an email marketing campaign in somthing that I don't have any kind of email list for. Do you think that it's good to buy an email list to start a marketing campaign? I mean just to start off in a new niche till I get my own list built up.

ulterios

If you are wanting to get started right away with an email marketing campaign then you don't have many choices if you don't have an appropriate list. This is why I usually start to build a list a while before I start to market through email in niches that I don't have an appropriate list.

I have never personally bought a list but many people I know and deal with do this. You just want to make sure that you are buying the list for a good source. ;)

eMonetize

What are you wanting to promote?

Are you locked into whatever it is or are you just wanting to make money?

The reason I ask is that I have been monetizing purchased data using PPL (pay per lead...lead generation) offer for over 16 years.

I mainly promote PPL offers that have a make, get or save money benefit to them and that I can get fresh / targeted data that matches an exact PPL offer.

Under the above scenario, I would recommend trying it. However, I don't recommend just blindly buying data. You always want to start with a sample and test it, so you can get an idea of how long it will take to break-even. Then based on the results, you can make a more informed decision on how to move forward.

If you are wanting to buy a niche based list and try and sell a product that falls under the given niche is likely going to be much harder. Where with PPL offers there is nothing to buy and all a user has to do is fill out a form to complete an offer. In this case, I have no advice, except to make sure you test the data first.

Maria Marketing

Are you locked into whatever it is or are you just wanting to make money?

The reason I ask is that I have been monetizing purchased data using PPL (pay per lead...lead generation) offer for over 16 years.

I mainly promote PPL offers that have a make, get or save money benefit to them and that I can get fresh / targeted data that matches an exact PPL offer.

Under the above scenario, I would recommend trying it. However, I don't recommend just blindly buying data. You always want to start with a sample and test it, so you can get an idea of how long it will take to break-even. Then based on the results, you can make a more informed decision on how to move forward.

If you are wanting to buy a niche based list and try and sell a product that falls under the given niche is likely going to be much harder. Where with PPL offers there is nothing to buy and all a user has to do is fill out a form to complete an offer. In this case, I have no advice, except to make sure you test the data first.
If I wanted to start doing the PPL marketing how would I get started? I only know about some affiliate things for the most part.

eMonetize

If I wanted to start doing the PPL marketing how would I get started? I only know about some affiliate things for the most part.

PPL (pay per lead) is just a type of offer...lead generation offer.

Affiliate marketing just means that you are promoting someone else's offer, rather than your own offer. So the actual work is no different in that respect.

The easiest way to get access to PPL offers is to sign up to CPA networks. Essentially you will be an affiliate for the CPA network, rather than an affiliate for the offer owner. You are called a publisher, rather than an affiliate with CPA networks.

Next you can try and find the offer owner and become an affiliate directly. The main advantage of this, is you will likely get a higher payout, but there are some other advantages.

Lastly, you could develop your own PPL offer. This is more work and has some additional risks. However, you get to control the entire process and keep all the money generated from the sale of the leads. You get to monetize all the thank you page traffic and keep the money from it. You could get affiliates and keep a percentage of the money from their leads and you get to keep a copy of all the leads they generate and you can monetize them.

Dean

PPL (pay per lead) is just a type of offer...lead generation offer.

Affiliate marketing just means that you are promoting someone else's offer, rather than your own offer. So the actual work is no different in that respect.

The easiest way to get access to PPL offers is to sign up to CPA networks. Essentially you will be an affiliate for the CPA network, rather than an affiliate for the offer owner. You are called a publisher, rather than an affiliate with CPA networks.

Next you can try and find the offer owner and become an affiliate directly. The main advantage of this, is you will likely get a higher payout, but there are some other advantages.

Lastly, you could develop your own PPL offer. This is more work and has some additional risks. However, you get to control the entire process and keep all the money generated from the sale of the leads. You get to monetize all the thank you page traffic and keep the money from it. You could get affiliates and keep a percentage of the money from their leads and you get to keep a copy of all the leads they generate and you can monetize them.
Great post with good detailed information @eMonetize! :)

I especially like the part that you said about direct owner contact. Sometimes people don't realize that if they reach out to people then you can sometimes develop a good business relationship.

Great post!

Cheers, Dean.

Storm

Well I have a couple that I want to get a good list for. The Tech field and the Social Media services fields.

JennyJ

I was looking at possibly buying an email list because it seems like many people say that a good email list is the most important thing. I just wouldn't know where to buy a good email list. :(

Jen :D

eMonetize

I was looking at possibly buying an email list because it seems like many people say that a good email list is the most important thing. I just wouldn't know where to buy a good email list. :(

Jen :D

What niche?

As I have stated, I have been buying email data for over 16 years.

However, it's not necessarily the best route for everyone.

ulterios

I was looking at possibly buying an email list because it seems like many people say that a good email list is the most important thing.
Yes it can be the most important thing depending on what type of marketing you are doing. Some email lists in the hands of the right person can be very valuable.

I just wouldn't know where to buy a good email list.
That's the trick. You just need to make sure that you are getting your list for a reputable source if you choose to buy one. Otherwise you might just get a generalized email list and it might not get the best results of what niche you are targeting.

JennyJ

What niche?

As I have stated, I have been buying email data for over 16 years.

However, it's not necessarily the best route for everyone.
The niche would be for fashion, clothing and accessories for the main one that I am targeting.

Would it be hard to get one for that niche?

eMonetize

The niche would be for fashion, clothing and accessories for the main one that I am targeting.

Would it be hard to get one for that niche?

I don't have access to such data as I mainly promote PPL offers and get data for those verticals.

I was hoping maybe it was something I could help you out with and save you money, but that is just so broad.

JennyJ

I was hoping maybe it was something I could help you out with and save you money, but that is just so broad.
Well anything in those niches would work since I don't have anything right now. womens clothing, mens clothing, cosmetics or anything in those fields would be helpful.

Traveler

I think that if you do not have an email list for something and you do not have the time to build one yourself then it should be fine to buy an email list as long as you buy it from a seller of quality email lists.

KeralMTG

If you do not have the time to make your own email list then you can buy one to get started. Many people do this to get going faster.