If I change web hosting will it hurt my rankings?

Marcos

Finding accurate information on web hosting services is hard to find from what I have been reading. I might just ask about any one I think I may use.
Yes it can be hard to find accurate information about many web hosting services and that is because many of the websites that have information on them say only good things because they are wanting you to use their affiliate links to buy web hosting so they can make money from you. They are only wanting to make money and not worried about providing accurate information.

JennyJ

Yes it can be hard to find accurate information about many web hosting services and that is because many of the websites that have information on them say only good things because they are wanting you to use their affiliate links to buy web hosting so they can make money from you. They are only wanting to make money and not worried about providing accurate information.
That's what I have found out by reading some of those review sites. Many say a web host is good in their reviews but there are many complaints to be found around in doing some searches for that host.

You just can't trust many websites to be honest. :(

Marcos

That's what I have found out by reading some of those review sites. Many say a web host is good in their reviews but there are many complaints to be found around in doing some searches for that host.

You just can't trust many websites to be honest. :(
Mostly you can't trust the web hosting review sites because they are there to make money so they tell people what they think is in their best interest to make sales. Not all are this way but many of them are.

JennyJ

Mostly you can't trust the web hosting review sites because they are there to make money so they tell people what they think is in their best interest to make sales. Not all are this way but many of them are.
Since there is no way to tell for sure who is being honest and who is not I think we should just not trust any of them. :(

Marcos

Since there is no way to tell for sure who is being honest and who is not I think we should just not trust any of them. :(
That is why I think it will be a good idea to ask others if they have any experience or information on a host you think you might use.

Changing hosting doesn't affects your SEO Significantly but here are some precautions you may take a note of

1. Buy hosting from a good company- chose a professional hosting company. If possible, go for a dedicated IP or even for a VPS, if you budget allows you. Perform a blacklist check for the new IP (use mxtoolbox). Here I have compared some top VPS companies- Amir Nasir's answer to What are the best cheap VPS hosts?-Quora.

2. Location of the server- It affects the load time of your website. Make sure your server location is nearby the targeted audience location. (If you are targeting global audience then go for a US based server). If you're in India, take a look at this answer Which are the top VPS hosting providers in India? - Quora

3. Make sure, the hosting transfer has been done properly. Downtime should be minimum during transfer.

Again, It doesn't makes a major change to your SEO but one must do it correctly.

Melker

It's not supposed to hurt your rankings but a guy that I know had his ranking drop constantly for 3 months after he changed web hosts.

He said that he did nothing to the site except move it and he lost a lot of traffic from rankings declines.

JohnQ

It's not supposed to hurt your rankings but a guy that I know had his ranking drop constantly for 3 months after he changed web hosts.

He said that he did nothing to the site except move it and he lost a lot of traffic from rankings declines.
Do you know if his site had a lot of down time or not? That might be why his rankings got hurt if he didn't make any other kind of changes.

Ben

Hosting changes don't affect your ranking by just changing the web host that you use but some indirect things can affect them so take that into consideration.

Melker

Do you know if his site had a lot of down time or not? That might be why his rankings got hurt if he didn't make any other kind of changes.
No I really don't know for sure if it did or not. That could be it though because he was saying their servers always had issues. Maybe that is what he meant.