How long does it take you to write an article?

Adrianhenry

Out of curiosity, how long does it take you guys to write a simple 500-700 word article?

The reason I'm asking is I recently hired some writers on Freelancer site who was apparently an academic professor in another country. The quality of article was acceptable though it took the individual 2.5 hours for each article (500 words).

Base on what I have got experience with writers then It was rather surprising for this. It'd be interesting to hear and see how long it takes you guys to write a good 500 word article.

Before writing an article, what things do you usually do and how
- How you do research for article title
- How you organize content in your article
- Do you include images in the article
- How about Keyword density

Even with these considerations, I cannot comprehend how it'd take 2.5 hours to write one 500 word article with conditions above.

KeralMTG

I am in the process of creating a new blog right now but when I had a website before it used to take me 1/2 hour to 1 hour to do a completed article.

I will research on google and find all good information then start writing the article. I organize it different for different type or articles. I usually put in about 8 to 10 of the keyword so it doesn't look bad to google. I try to put images in all of my articles unless it is something that does not need them. Images are something people like so they might stay longer on your site if you have images in articles.

Dean

It takes me anywhere from 15 minutes to about an hour, depending on what the article is about and if I already have the knowledge of the topic.

I always do research before any article is written, even if I know the topic.I always try to put at least 2 or 3 images as those can draw more attention and keep people on the page longer. With keywords I just kind of go with what looks right without overdoing it.

I do think that the 2.5 hours is pretty long. If it's a regular writer then they should get it done in probably no more than a half hour or so.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Dean

ProfMike

The first thing that I would consider is how well the article was written. That would be my first consideration when I was critiquing how well he or she had done.

Then I would look at the topic of the article. We all tend to write articles that we are very familiar with the topic area. That is normally the reason for our blogs or articles, it is something that we are very familiar with and have a pretty deep knowledge of. If the freelancer has little knowledge of the topic and has to do extensive research on then of course it will take him or her longer to write the article. This goes back to the first statement, how well was the article written.

Then probably the most important aspect of hiring an out of country freelancer, is English a second language to that person. If that is the case and the quality of the article was well written with proper grammatical format of course it would take them longer to write the article. English not being the primary language would at least double the time it takes to properly structure the article. Think of yourself writing an article in a language that is not your primary language.

I have used freelancers to do work for some of the classes that I teach. Taking the material and formatting and building presentations for the classes. It always take a lot more back and forth as we complete the material and working through the language barriers. But overall it still saves me time and normally I receive good material when we complete the project.

Adrianhenry

It takes me anywhere from 15 minutes to about an hour, depending on what the article is about and if I already have the knowledge of the topic.
For this point, I guess you are an article writer or a content writer and you created articles effectively and quickly :) I wish i could do as you.