How did you start making your own blog?

elasticcat

I have just started my own blog a few days ago but I can't think anything on how to start my blog. Any suggestions guys?

I have multiple blogs.. one for hosting, one topics that interest me, a personal blog, and among others for different sites I manage. Each blog covers topics related to the theme of each website.

PTTed

I have just started my own blog a few days ago but I can't think anything on how to start my blog. Any suggestions guys?
I discovered years ago that launching a traditional blog is a lot like creating another job for yourself. You feel like you need to write new posts for it all the time or else you will lose your audience. And that is basically true. So I quit building any blogs that didn't have mostly evergreen content on them.

Evergreen content is content that doesn't need to really change much over time to keep up with changes. Like for example a blog post or website about learning how to play guitar. If you created an entire blog about learning how to play guitar, once you got most of the core content published on the site, then you really wouldn't need to publish much more at all. People could visit the site ten years from now and it would still be pretty good at teaching them how to play guitar. Not that much changes over time with that subject.

That is what I do now if and when I want to write about a subject in great detail. Usually I will write a handful of articles/blog posts and save them in a folder on my hard drive all nice and neatly organized. Then if I ever get enough material together on the subject I will then maybe launch a website/blog to publish that content. I build small blogs that are very detailed and very useful to a highly targeted audience. They are referred to as "authority blogs" or small authority sites.

I have found that method of blogging to be much easier to do, far less time consuming and far more profitable. But that is just me.

Back when I would publish a traditional blog about whatever I wanted to talk about, I discovered that most people didn't really care what I had to talk about. Certain people cared about certain topics. But nobody other than me cared about all the different mish-mosh of topics. It ended up feeling like too much work trying to keep various people interested in various topics.

So my advice would be to wait till you have something important to say before you try to launch a blog. And make sure you have enough to say about that topic. Otherwise, you are going to get stuck trying to figure out "Gee, what should I write about". That isn't a fun position to be stuck in.

Writing about "whatever topic comes to mind" is good for therapeutic reasons, but it is not very profitable.

Nytshade

I have found that method of blogging to be much easier to do, far less time consuming and far more profitable. But that is just me.

You're not the only one bro I'm in the music production and guitar niche so I know first hand what you're talking about. Really great advise by the way.

You did everything backwards, you should have started with some research and choosing a niche, then after choose a topic you're going to focus on. Once you have that then you can think about the domain and the type of content you're going to post. Much easier like that.

Right now you've put unnecessary pressure on yourself, which is fixable though.

When it comes to content, a lot of people want to have hundreds of articles. If you can produce a lot of content then rather focus on posting a few of your content (article, video, audio, infographic etc.) on your own blog and post the rest on other high traffic blogs/websites as featured content or guest post.

80/20 rule, focus on what brings you the most results so posting your content on a high traffic blog is better than posting all your content on your blog and getting traffic won't be easy. Having a lot of content also makes it hard for your content to rank because link juice is spread to lot of pages on your blog.

I don't want to get too much into content marketing and blogging.

...how to start my blog. Any suggestions guys?

The first step is always to do some research and choose a niche, any niche. It's much easier to start with something that you're really passionate about and have more knowledge about. Some people aren't passionate about anything or they just don't know their passions. In that case then I would recommend you to go to flippa.com and check most recently sold websites and see if you can replicate any of them.

If it sold on flippa then there's a higher chance that the niche is profitable and the topic is worth blogging about. Also go to youtube take a moment to watch a few videos about keyword and niche research just to get a basic understanding. Also search for videos that will teach you how to turn your keywords into blog posts.

Hope that helps.

dungtroy

Just find & download templates (blogger, wordpress...)then install it with the template you like, make the useful content...