How did you choose moderators for your forum?

rahaninja

Choosing moderators is a hard task for your forum, what factors do you do to ensure that the people you chose to be a good mod and will help your forum?

Please share your thoughts!

Dean

I think that there are many things that an admin should consider when choosing a moderator for their forum.

First off, you would want someone that can be nice and diplomatic to all members and be neutral when their is an issue that arises. A moderator can sometime be seen as a bad guy/gal because they need to enforce the rules and guidelines of the forum, so you would need someone that can treat all members equally and fair, regardless of whether they like or dislike a certain member.

A moderator should take their duties seriously and not take the position for granted. I have seen many moderators of many years that get that position, then at first they are carrying out their duties, then later they slack off and don't keep up with their responsibilities.

A moderator should always conduct themselves in a manner that is positive towards the forum and not get into arguments, call names, act childish or do anything that can reflect badly on the forum, it's members and administrators.

A moderator should be helpful and willing to help other members so as to help build a good relationship with fellow members.

There are so many different things that an admin should look for when choosing moderators and it can be a tough choice sometimes. An admin might just have to keep an eye on a member that they think will be a good moderator and then go with what they feel. Sometimes this might not work out good and others it might.

I do think that over time as administrators get more and more experience in recruiting moderators, they can start to have good instincts when they are evaluating potential candidates for a moderator position. Sometimes, it's just a crap shoot!