Email marketing for a different niche

JennyJ

I built up my email list in the fashion and beauty niche and I was wondering if it is alright to send emails to my list for things that are not in the niches it was made for.

Is it advisable to stick with the same niche you make an email list for or is it alright to send emails for another niche?

Kania

You can do it in a different niche but you will probably not have too good success because people are not expecting emails for something different then they subscribed for. You might lose some subscribers but I do not know for sure on that.

ulterios

I agree with @Kania.

You are probably not going to get much success with this unless the other niche is somewhat related at least and you might actually lose some people that don't want to be on your list anymore.

You can give it a shot with a small part of your list and see how that goes. That way you are not risking the entire list by switching niches on the subscribers.

JohnQ

When you made the list did you tell the people that they would be getting emails for something specific?

Dean

Of course it's advisable to stick with the niche the list was built for because that is the one that it will probably perform the best in.

However, if you want to try out another niche then I don't see why you couldn't as long as you didn't state anything to the subscribers as to what they would be getting in the emails.

Traveler

I think you can send marketing emails to a different niche because it's your list unless you got it for someone else. If you start to see people wanting to cancel being on the list then just stop sending the other emails.

Will247

You can always try to experiment and see how that works out and if it works out to be good then stick with it. If it doesn't then just stop your emails in the new niche.

augusta

I think you should stick to the niche the email list was meant for,so it would seem you're trying to spam their mailboxes.I'm writing on how I feel about unsolicited mails.I would only entertained mails I know of.

Maria Marketing

I have not done this although I have thought about it. When I was reading on it the worst thing I have seen is that you will get a much lower success rate that it's intended niche but if that doesn't matter to you then it should be fine.

KeralMTG

Is the other niche a little similar to the original one? If it is at least a little similar then it probably will not matter but if it is very different then it might not work too good.

Marcos

It is always advisable to use the list for the purpose for which it was made but if the new niche is similar in some way or would be the same type of people then it may be successful.

I agree with what someone posted previously and maybe you should test it with a small portion of your list to see the responses.

SueAssists

JennyJ said:
I built up my email list in the fashion and beauty niche and I was wondering if it is alright to send emails to my list for things that are not in the niches it was made for.
Will what you have in mind be completely different from fashion and beauty?

Fashion and beauty are such a huge niche that can be split into many smaller niches ie face masks or swimsuits for pregnant women and sending emails about baby coats or acupuncture may be seen as connected to what they originally expected to receive from you to some but not all of your subscribers.

As fashion and beauty is a huge niche, I think you could 'get away' with many connections to beauty and fashion in your emails though. For example fashion book recommendations, courses in beauty, documentary beauty films Even flight recommendations! Where else is the best place to get really pampered and relaxed than a spa abroad in a sunny climate?

JennyJ said:
Is it advisable to stick with the same niche you make an email list for or is it alright to send emails for another niche?

Only your current subscribers can truly answer this one me thinks as they will either vote a yes by still opening and clicking your email links or they'll vote a no with an unsubscribe click.

Have you thought of creating another email list in the completely different niches you're thinking about or segmenting (dividing list into interested or not) your current list with a survey? This way you'll end up with interested subscribers who at least will continue to open your emails.

JennyJ

Will what you have in mind be completely different from fashion and beauty?

Fashion and beauty are such a huge niche that can be split into many smaller niches ie face masks or swimsuits for pregnant women and sending emails about baby coats or acupuncture may be seen as connected to what they originally expected to receive from you to some but not all of your subscribers.

As fashion and beauty is a huge niche, I think you could 'get away' with many connections to beauty and fashion in your emails though. For example fashion book recommendations, courses in beauty, documentary beauty films Even flight recommendations! Where else is the best place to get really pampered and relaxed than a spa abroad in a sunny climate?

Only your current subscribers can truly answer this one me thinks as they will either vote a yes by still opening and clicking your email links or they'll vote a no with an unsubscribe click.

Have you thought of creating another email list in the completely different niches you're thinking about or segmenting (dividing list into interested or not) your current list with a survey? This way you'll end up with interested subscribers who at least will continue to open your emails.
It would be for a different niche but I like your idea about splitting up into different branches of them.

I have thought about building a list just for this but since I already had the list I was thinking about using those emails.