Do non-news websites work well with WordPress?

WordPress first started to spread as a good news management framework, but later expanded to become the colossus we all know.
Still, managing content, posts and articles is still at the base of WordPress. But what if you don't have a large volume of stuff to neatly organize and display? What if you just need to create a showcase website?

Is it excessive to use WordPress for any website that doesn't include articles and whatnot or is it still useful as a solid framework to base your website upon?

augusta

Sure,WordPress can be used for as many stuff as possible. So you can go ahead and offload your ideas on it

PedroP

Well even though I write mostly article I have to say that I am very satisfied with WordPress. It offers a good interface and easy to customize the layout. My only complaint is the HTML editing which has been giving me some problems lately. Other than that is great.

Well even though I write mostly article I have to say that I am very satisfied with WordPress. It offers a good interface and easy to customize the layout. My only complaint is the HTML editing which has been giving me some problems lately. Other than that is great.

What kind of HTML editing problems, if I may ask? That's exactly what I was afraid about (its complex architecture interfering with basic editing, that is), as I really don't want to lose time with basic editing features.

PedroP

What kind of HTML editing problems, if I may ask? That's exactly what I was afraid about (its complex architecture interfering with basic editing, that is), as I really don't want to lose time with basic editing features.
Well, I can edit HTML of any page in the writing section (Simply switch from View to text on the upper right corner) Still I tried to edit my homepage because I wanted to add a tag for google webmasters and change the color of my background.When I go to Appearance>Editor I get an endless redirecting page also known as "White Screen of death" I have researched many things on the matter but to no avail. If anyone can provide me with a solution I'd be grateful also.

vinaya

I did not know wordpress first started as news management framework. What I know is wordpress is independ from the type of website. In other words, wordpress can be use irrespective of website. Wordpress works with personal blogs, ecomerce website, content website, business website, company website, you name it. However, wordpress is not appropriate for the websites that generates huge traffic or website that deals with secured data.

Well, I can edit HTML of any page in the writing section (Simply switch from View to text on the upper right corner) Still I tried to edit my homepage because I wanted to add a tag for google webmasters and change the color of my background.When I go to Appearance>Editor I get an endless redirecting page also known as "White Screen of death" I have researched many things on the matter but to no avail. If anyone can provide me with a solution I'd be grateful also.

Not being able to change the homepage sounds like quite a big deal. That's also my first time hearing about the White Screen of Death issue, but it must be quite common for it to even get a name. That's not what I would expect from such a popular CMS.

I did not know wordpress first started as news management framework. What I know is wordpress is independ from the type of website. In other words, wordpress can be use irrespective of website. Wordpress works with personal blogs, ecomerce website, content website, business website, company website, you name it. However, wordpress is not appropriate for the websites that generates huge traffic or website that deals with secured data.

And I did not know it could be as flexible as that, thank you for the info! I mean, I did know about plugins that can be used to implement single features (like shop plugins), but I didn't know you could make websites entirely out of that.
And yeah, I can see why you wouldn't use Wordpress to deal with secure data. Custom systems are mandatory, especially since hackers know Wordpress's ins and outs.

PedroP

Not being able to change the homepage sounds like quite a big deal. That's also my first time hearing about the White Screen of Death issue, but it must be quite common for it to even get a name. That's not what I would expect from such a popular CMS.
Well, I have been trying to fix it for the past week but to no avail. It's my only big complaint about Wordpress but as you put it it is a very big deal. My girlfriend is a TI graduate and we're trying to sort things out. I'll post if I manage to do it.

Well, I have been trying to fix it for the past week but to no avail. It's my only big complaint about Wordpress but as you put it it is a very big deal. My girlfriend is a TI graduate and we're trying to sort things out. I'll post if I manage to do it.
Best of luck with it! Have you reported it to WordPress itself with a bug report form or something? That's something worth writing them about and that they should definitely be warned about. Hopefully you won't have to resort to uninstall/reinstall or some other equally drastic solutions.

PedroP

Best of luck with it! Have you reported it to WordPress itself with a bug report form or something? That's something worth writing them about and that they should definitely be warned about. Hopefully you won't have to resort to uninstall/reinstall or some other equally drastic solutions.
I haven't! Great idea though. I will look into it next week!

Ben

I think that Wordpress can be a great option to build a website with no matter what kind of website it is for the most part. There are times where it would be overkill and have too much bloat.

If you had a small website that was a couple of pages then it will be a heavy amount of bloat that you will probably not need and then something lighter might be the better choice.

Maria Marketing

I think it's useful for many different kinds of websites because it is so versatile and has many different themes and plugins to do almost anything you could want. It's real easy for a beginner to be able to use also which was a big factor in my decision to use it.

I have even looked at the footer of many websites and saw they were using Wordpress and was rather surprised because I didn't think is was made with Wordpress.

Dean

But what if you don't have a large volume of stuff to neatly organize and display?
I had one site that had a very large volume of things that were neatly organized and displayed up until last year and never had any problems. I think that as long as you use good web hosting then you will be fine unless you have a super-huge site.

What if you just need to create a showcase website?
Wordpress should be fine for that type of website and I see many people doing that. There are a lot of 1 page websites that you see around that are built with Wordpress because they want ease of management and the use of some plugins without having to code everything.

Is it excessive to use WordPress for any website that doesn't include articles and whatnot or is it still useful as a solid framework to base your website upon?
I don't think it would be excessive at all. People use Wordpress for allkinds of sites and even some without articles. There are a lot of business websites that use Wordpress that just have a basic 4-5 page or so site with no articles.

Traveler

WordPress first started to spread as a good news management framework, but later expanded to become the colossus we all know.
Still, managing content, posts and articles is still at the base of WordPress. But what if you don't have a large volume of stuff to neatly organize and display? What if you just need to create a showcase website?

I see many sites that are built with using Wordpress and some kind of surprise me because I thought it would be more than what was needed but they look and work real nicely so I don't really think it matters what the site is about.

It matters more as to how easily you want to build and manage the site and Wordpress is good at that so why not?