Any tips for running a web hosting forum?

KenR

I added a new category on my forum (mybb forum software) it serves for web hosting industry.

Sort of new to this, so any tips on how to operate it would be helpful :)

How would you run yours? any experience to enlarge a web hosting forum?

Hostlumina

Personally - I would look at other similar forums to see what kind of policies they have implemented.

Like any saturated industry you will find many so call "businesses/companies" that will do anything for a few cents to a dollar that turn into forums for spam, fake reviews, and useless posts to indirectly spam their signature.

So, my suggestion...
  • Strong policies from the start for members to follow to keep it clean and trustworthy.
  • Strong Categories
  • Choose moderators that are trusted and will follow & enforce guidelines
  • Be part of the conversations
  • Encourage people to share knowledge
  • Welcome new members and encourage them to introduce themselves (seems little but it can go a long way)

viteko

Encourage people to share knowledge
This STEP is the most difficult when building a new forum, almost people don't like to join forums with some posts.

But you can run some contest to encourage members join and posting on forums.

Rajiv Singhi

Personally - I would look at other similar forums to see what kind of policies they have implemented.

Like any saturated industry you will find many so call "businesses/companies" that will do anything for a few cents to a dollar that turn into forums for spam, fake reviews, and useless posts to indirectly spam their signature.

So, my suggestion...
  • Strong policies from the start for members to follow to keep it clean and trustworthy.
  • Strong Categories
  • Choose moderators that are trusted and will follow & enforce guidelines
  • Be part of the conversations
  • Encourage people to share knowledge
  • Welcome new members and encourage them to introduce themselves (seems little but it can go a long way)
Your Suggestions are really useful and yes without these forum site can not get the quality users....

thanks

david smith

Check the functionality of the forum from time to time. When a user registers on the forum, a registration email must be sent to the user's email address. After the user is verified the user must be able to participate in the forum. The rules and regulations of the forum must be mentioned and easy to comprehend. There must be active moderation on the forum in case users spams. The topic created in the forum must drive ongoing conversation among the users of the forum. The forum administrator can also create a reward point system to reward users who participate actively in the forum.

KeralMTG

I was a member on some web hosting forums and there was too much spam all the time. Many people will leave after a short time if there is much spam. I think if you control that properly and do some marketing for your forum on Facebook and other social media websites then it can do good.