What draws you to buy a book?

MidnightAngel

I'm working a job, writing a 'blurb' to sell your book. I know what draws my attention to purchase a book, cover design, the back cover blurb, and even the author or genre, but what draws your attention to a book you want to purchase?

I'm tossing around general ideas and how to's and thought I would check with you all to see what you think?

I'm working a job, writing a 'blurb' to sell your book. I know what draws my attention to purchase a book, cover design, the back cover blurb, and even the author or genre, but what draws your attention to a book you want to purchase?

I'm tossing around general ideas and how to's and thought I would check with you all to see what you think?
A bit about the main character and the story line, but very brief. It would consist of something like this, in my opinion:

"Jack was a normal schoolboy, or so he thought. He went to school like any normal kid his age. One day, while he was walking to school, everything changed."

That is a bit of it, you could go further into it but it is just an example :p

Artemis _Knight

Yes, the physical appearance of the book can capture my attention but it won't make me buy it.
Their are several reasons that can make me buy a book.
First, the plot should be unique not cliche.
Second, the authors writing style.
And third, the genre.

PTTed

I buy lots of self help books and other educational non-fiction books (about 1 per week). I buy almost all of them from Amazon.com.

I buy books that I see recommended by people whom I consider to be knowledgeable and trustworthy people. Like if I come across a blog that I like and that blog author has a list of recommended books. Then I will go over to Amazon and see what kind of reviews the book got. The reviews usually sway my decision one way or another about whether I should buy the book. I really don't care about the book cover at all unless it was very poorly done. Nor do I care about the author's summary of the book. I care more about reviews and what other people have said about the book.

Dean

Like everyone I look at the cover and if it looks interesting I will read the overview about the book to see if it sounds like something I might be interested in reading.

If it catches my attention then I might buy/download/etc. the book. I like hard copies of some types of books but have been more into ebooks these last few years.