What are the top features to look for in a new host?

Ben

To me great customer service and support are the features that are on the top of my list of things I look for in a new web host. After that then I look at the quality of the hosting including uptime, performance and all the technical stuff like a good control panel and so on.

Price is something I look at but only when the other more important factors are good. It doesn't matter how cheap a hosting service costs if it's down a lot, your sites load slow or the support is bad.

These are the main features and things that I look for in a new web host.

Cheers, Dean.
I like good customer support myself and since I do sometimes use it often it's very important to me. I had a web host once that seemed like they had nothing but untrained fools doing their support and it was like talking about brain surgery to them. They didn't know even some things that was basic stuff. ever since then good support is a top priority.

Dean

I like good customer support myself and since I do sometimes use it often it's very important to me. I had a web host once that seemed like they had nothing but untrained fools doing their support and it was like talking about brain surgery to them. They didn't know even some things that was basic stuff. ever since then good support is a top priority.
I have had a couple of those myself and it can be VERY frustrating when the people who are supposed to know a lot about web hosting, servers and everything related actually know less than they should.

One in particular was really bad and I actually had to tell them how to do a couple of things that they could not figure out on their own. It was very sad! :(

Ben

I have had a couple of those myself and it can be VERY frustrating when the people who are supposed to know a lot about web hosting, servers and everything related actually know less than they should.

One in particular was really bad and I actually had to tell them how to do a couple of things that they could not figure out on their own. It was very sad! :(
I guess they just have no experience or training required before you start working for them and you just get on the job training. Crazy!

Dean

I guess they just have no experience or training required before you start working for them and you just get on the job training. Crazy!
Either that or who they are outsourcing the support to just has very poor or very little training that they put them through or provide them.

Ben

Either that or who they are outsourcing the support to just has very poor or very little training that they put them through or provide them.
If that is the case then they need to look at how many customers the low cost support is costing them overall.

Dean

If that is the case then they need to look at how many customers the low cost support is costing them overall.
I am sure they look at something like that but the cost savings for cheap support outweighs the loss of a small part of their customer base.

It's a shame that some companies look at things like this but they do and money is always the determining factor in business.

Ben

I am sure they look at something like that but the cost savings for cheap support outweighs the loss of a small part of their customer base.

It's a shame that some companies look at things like this but they do and money is always the determining factor in business.
If they do business like that then one day they will run out of new customers and all the old ones will remember how bad they were and then their customer numbers are going to keep going down. :(

Dean

If they do business like that then one day they will run out of new customers and all the old ones will remember how bad they were and then their customer numbers are going to keep going down. :(
True but their are countless millions of new potential customers that won't know about their quality of service out there that they can try to draw towards using their service.

With more and more people getting their own sites these days the number of potential clients is always growing so they know they have a huge pool of potential customers to replace any that they lose.

Some businesses just don't look at things from an ethical or proper way to do business, just how much money they can make and save.

Ben

True but their are countless millions of new potential customers that won't know about their quality of service out there that they can try to draw towards using their service.

With more and more people getting their own sites these days the number of potential clients is always growing so they know they have a huge pool of potential customers to replace any that they lose.

Some businesses just don't look at things from an ethical or proper way to do business, just how much money they can make and save.
I understand that but sooner or later your bad reputation will catch up with you more and more and cost you customers. Not that way business should be done in my mind.