Website design ideas?

MidnightAngel

I've decided to create a website for my freelancing that I've been doing. I know what site and layout(pretty much), what I'm trying to figure out, is what type of graphics should I use? I had one a while back that was simple with just a colorful, generic logo that I had picked out. But now that I want to build this one better, and SEO friendly, what do you guys think would work better?
Professionally speaking I guess. No crazy, wild, flashy stuff, just a simple crisp and clean site. What type of color scheme would you recommend for it as well?

PTTed

I've decided to create a website for my freelancing that I've been doing. I know what site and layout(pretty much), what I'm trying to figure out, is what type of graphics should I use? I had one a while back that was simple with just a colorful, generic logo that I had picked out. But now that I want to build this one better, and SEO friendly, what do you guys think would work better?
Professionally speaking I guess. No crazy, wild, flashy stuff, just a simple crisp and clean site. What type of color scheme would you recommend for it as well?

I often struggle with the question about what colors to use on a website.

Here is an article that suggest meanings of certain colors. Maybe that will help you make up your mind.

Personally I am a fan of using bold colors and contrasting colors to make things stand out.

One thing to keep in mind because you are a freelancer is make sure you are using a font that is large enough and easy to read. I think that is a bigger deal than most people think it is. That is especially true if you are selling anything to less technically savvy (non-internet) types of people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hostlumina

This a tough question as everyone has personal opinions on color. As this is for your freelancing website:

- First item is determining and which you have already done so is the layout.

- The style,color, and images used will have to represent your business vision. Are you going to go with something professional? or more of a profile for yourself? if you have a logo already in mind with color you can go based of that so they both compliment each other well.

- At the end only you can answer the colors you want to use as it comes down to a matter of opinion. You don't want a website with a color you hate, remember the website represents your business and your vision. There are more advance techniques but that is looking at how the brain works and you will need to learn about it more in depth and/or take a full course on this area such as user design experience.

Good way to help and get inspiration is to look at other websites that make you go "wow". Just remember get inspired by them only and not copy it. That just ends up in another whole world of copywrite issues.

One other/last option if you aren't advanced with web design & development would be to consider a template and make some adjustments yourself to it to get it to where you want it.

MidnightAngel

Personally I am a fan of using bold colors and contrasting colors to make things stand out.
And

As am I. I love the vibrant color because I want them to stand out and for someone to remember my site, since it's so colorful. I do struggle with whether its good for business or not. If it were just my personal page, then yep I'd do it. So undecided....argh! I am not advanced with design, but I can create a page from scratch using basic html, so right now I'm playing with the themes on the site, deciding if I like them or not.

Good way to help and get inspiration is to look at other websites that make you go "wow".

And that's what I definitely plan to do, I hope to find some inspiration!

There are so many web design blogs which share useful knowledge about web design ideas and inspiration. You can search on the internet for the best web design company sites which help everyone to learn web design, be updated with latest web design trends and get inspired by other articles etc.

Dean

When I am looking for design ideas for one of my websites I will sometimes go and look at other websites that are in the same niche and that has helped many times. I don't copy other websites but look at them to get ideas on many things including the site color, layout and elements.

I also do a little testing with colors to make sure that the colors I use on a website look good and appropriate for it's niche and subject matter.

Storm

Whenever I am browsing the web or checking out any websites and I see one that I like the design then I will bookmark it and come back to it or them later. I have one folder alone that has dozens or websites that I like the design of.

ulterios

When I am trying to decide on how I am going to design a website I think about several things. Some of the things that I consider are what the website is and what niche is it in. That can determine some of the design aspects of the website.

I also like to have a website that looks unique and not like countless other websites on the web so I consider what I am going to do for that aspect.

If I am still having trouble on making a decision on the design of a website I will sometimes go around the web and look at other websites in the same niche to get some ideas as to how their website looks.

One thing to consider is that you will want a design that the visitors to the website will like and not just that you like. They are the ones that will help determining the success of the website. ;)