Search Engine Design

David Ewen

Google recently announced that "legacy" websites (non-html5) would be 'bumped' lower on search engine results to accommodate effective searches for mobile devices. At one time (and perhaps still do), Appen Butler Hill was used to modify search engine functionality for Bing. Have you noticed changes to search engine results over time? Do you think the results ore more or less relevant to searches? Between Google, Bing, Yahoo, and perhaps others, which is doing the best job of providing quality search results? Or does it matter?

PTTed

Google recently announced that "legacy" websites (non-html5) would be 'bumped' lower on search engine results to accommodate effective searches for mobile devices. At one time (and perhaps still do), Appen Butler Hill was used to modify search engine functionality for Bing. Have you noticed changes to search engine results over time? Do you think the results ore more or less relevant to searches? Between Google, Bing, Yahoo, and perhaps others, which is doing the best job of providing quality search results? Or does it matter?
Google is still my "go to" search engine when looking things up on the internet. I think their search results are fantastic for the most part.
On one computer I use Bing for the homepage though. I do that because I like their photos and the streaming news at the bottom of the screen. Whoever's decision is was at Bing to add those two features deserves massive credit. If it wasn't for those homepage pictures and if it wasn't for the streaming news on their homepage, I doubt I would ever use Bing at all except to check site rankings for certain search queries. I don't use Yahoo at all except to check site rankings for certain search queries. However, my wife uses Yahoo almost exclusively for all internet searches. (Drives me nuts when she does it and can't find something I told her to lookup.) I tell her to use Google, but she insists on using Yahoo for whatever reason no matter how loud I preach.