MyBB vs. IPB

Have you ever used one of 2 forum softwares?

Please give your experience which is better for staring up a new forum.

Thanks in advance.

dezfutak

Have not tried with 2 forum softwares but I saw more people using MyBB.

For me I will choose IPB because I have seen any good forums running with IPB out there.

Allenafaith

I have used MyBB and IPB but I like MyBB more.
IPB has an awesome look to me but MyBB is more simple. The ACP is simple and the design is simple

Riley

I've used both forum softwares for awhile now, but if i have to choose one then I'd have to go with MyBB since i have worth 4-5 years experience :)

ulterios

IPB(s) is a paid forum software which shouldn't be compared to myBB unless you factor in the costs.

myBB is in my opinion, the best free option for forum software.

However, if you are serious about creating or adding a forum to your site (or as a site) then I would go with Xenforo. There are so many options, addons, and other things available for Xenforo that make it good for many different applications.

vBulletin is good as well, as is IPB(s) but these would be my second choices.

Dean

Well said! you cant compare oranges to apples.
I like that comparison, it's very appropriate. :)

MYBB is free software and is the front row along with phpbb and smf. Whereas the IPB is in the league of big players like vbulletin and xenforo.
myBB is good for what it is and it does have some great things going for it but I would like to see some more developers making themes and plugins to help extend it's abilities. I haven't tried SMF yet so I don't know what it's like first hand. I have done a lot of research on forum software and the free ones just don't have all the bells and whistles as well as the number of extras you can add to them like the paid do.

You are very right about comparing them being completely different.

I have not used mybb but IPB I used on some forums and realized that it's a good cms for admins and members

However, if you are serious about creating or adding a forum to your site (or as a site) then I would go with Xenforo. There are so many options, addons, and other things available for Xenforo that make it good for many different applications.

Just a thing I consider Xenforo is better than others, thats about security. I've not ever heard of xenforo gets hacked or some same things .

Dean

Just a thing I consider Xenforo is better than others, thats about security. I've not ever heard of xenforo gets hacked or some same things .
All the hacked forums I have hear of have been vBulletin forums but that might just be because there are so many of them around for hackers to try their skills on.

I have heard xenforo has better security several times around the web but I really don't know if it's true or not.