Maximum length of a domain name

JohnQ

I have been looking at some domain names that I want to get to start a blog and all the shorter ones are taken in the good extensions so I was looking at being creative and coming up with longer ones.

I found one that is available and good, or at least I think, but it's 12 letters. Is that too long or do you think it will be OK?

It would be a brand name and not a keyword if that affects your opinions.

Ben

12 is not too long. There are many websites that are using longer domain names nowadays because all the shorter domain names are already registered and gone.

This website has 21 letters in it's and it does rather well so I think 12 will be more than fine if it is a good domain.

Dean

I agree with Ben on this one. I really don't think a 12 character domain would be too long as long as it's a good name.

If you are just throwing something together then that would be different but you say it's a good one that you like so I say 12 would be no problem.

Melker

I don't think 12 letters would be too long. I see longer ones than that all the time on popular websites. This one here is longer than that and it's doing pretty good.

Ben

I agree with Ben on this one. I really don't think a 12 character domain would be too long as long as it's a good name.

If you are just throwing something together then that would be different but you say it's a good one that you like so I say 12 would be no problem.
I forgot to mention the throwing something together part myself. I have seen some crazy combinations of letters thrown together the last few years.

JohnQ

12 is not too long. There are many websites that are using longer domain names nowadays because all the shorter domain names are already registered and gone.

This website has 21 letters in it's and it does rather well so I think 12 will be more than fine if it is a good domain.
I noticed that after I posted this. It's just that everyone talks so much about domain length and I wasn't sure because that is longer than I originally wanted.

It's not something thrown together but researched and though about, maybe too much.

I don't think 12 letters would be too long. I see longer ones than that all the time on popular websites. This one here is longer than that and it's doing pretty good.
I see some that do also but they are more established usually.

Ben

I noticed that after I posted this. It's just that everyone talks so much about domain length and I wasn't sure because that is longer than I originally wanted.
These days you have to go with longer domains because so many of the short ones are already registered. At least the good and and the ones that make sense and are spelled properly.

JohnQ

These days you have to go with longer domains because so many of the short ones are already registered. At least the good and and the ones that make sense and are spelled properly.
I've found that out more than once. There have been so many good names that I have come up with that are just showing ads landing pages with someone looking to sell the domain.

Every time I think I have come up with something that I think will be available I check and it's taken.

Kania

I see many websites that are using a domain that is longer than 12 letters so I don't think 12 letters is too long. Just do some searches for something in Google and see how long some of the domains are.

Ben

I've found that out more than once. There have been so many good names that I have come up with that are just showing ads landing pages with someone looking to sell the domain.

Every time I think I have come up with something that I think will be available I check and it's taken.
That is because many people will buy domains so that they can make profit from them. It is just business.

Melker

I see some that do also but they are more established usually.
Sure but they were not established at some point. They had to start somewhere.

I also think that if you are not buying the domain to sell then the length is not as important. I know that shorter domains usually sell for more money.

vishwa

The length of a domain name does not matter a lot. However people suggested to use 10 characters in domain name. Just make it shorter and punchy which is easy to remember for your users. 12 words is not so bad. You can go for it.

JohnQ

Sure but they were not established at some point. They had to start somewhere.

I also think that if you are not buying the domain to sell then the length is not as important. I know that shorter domains usually sell for more money.
Sure but most of them started a long time ago when the internet didn't have so many websites on it. Today you need every edge to help you be successful.

The length of a domain name does not matter a lot. However people suggested to use 10 characters in domain name. Just make it shorter and punchy which is easy to remember for your users. 12 words is not so bad. You can go for it.
I see that your has 14 in it. You don't think that the longer domain has mattered at all?

KeralMTG

Is it for a .com domain? If it is then that is not bad mate. I see many more that are 15 or 20 letters long.

vishwa

I see that your has 14 in it. You don't think that the longer domain has mattered at all?
I don't think so. Domain name does not matter if you have quality and informative content on your site. Many pro bloggers like Pat Flynn using smartpassiveincome.com its quite a long domain, but users love to visit his website.

JohnQ

I don't think so. Domain name does not matter if you have quality and informative content on your site. Many pro bloggers like Pat Flynn using smartpassiveincome.com its quite a long domain, but users love to visit his website.
Oh yeah, I have heard of that one and been on it a couple times. Good point to make. :Great:

Melker

Sure but most of them started a long time ago when the internet didn't have so many websites on it. Today you need every edge to help you be successful.
Yeah but you have to work with what is available to you. It's that same for others too so you are not at a disadvantage.

JohnQ

It seems like it will be good for length so if you like the domain then you should get it.
I do like it but I just want to be sure about it. I sometime overthink things.

Yeah but you have to work with what is available to you. It's that same for others too so you are not at a disadvantage.
I guess that's right. I wasn't thinking about that.