Looking for hosting - What to look for?

Traveler

I have not had to shop for hosting for quite a while and now I find myself looking for a new host for a project I have. I am looking for some kind of inexpensive hosting to use to test some scripts out on for an ongoing period. I really have not shopped for lower priced hosting so I am curious as to what I should look for and what I should avoid. It needs to be something that has no contract and is month to month. I also prefer it to have cpanel since I am used to that control panel.

Any tips, pointers or things to look for as well as avoid when shopping for lower priced hosting will be a big help.

ulterios

I have not had to shop for hosting for quite a while and now I find myself looking for a new host for a project I have. I am looking for some kind of inexpensive hosting to use to test some scripts out on for an ongoing period. I really have not shopped for lower priced hosting so I am curious as to what I should look for and what I should avoid. It needs to be something that has no contract and is month to month. I also prefer it to have cpanel since I am used to that control panel.

Any tips, pointers or things to look for as well as avoid when shopping for lower priced hosting will be a big help.
Since you haven't had to shop for hosting for a while then there might be some big changes depending on when you last were shopping for it. I think that the main thing that you need to think about are the requirements that you will need for your testing and to make sure that any host that you are thinking about using is going to meet those requirements.

Since you are looking for inexpensive hosting I would ask what you consider inexpensive first. What you think is inexpensive might be expensive for someone else. If you are looking for purely testing purposes and have no other requirements as far as features then there are many that charge $2 or less a month for some kind of basic hosting, you just have to see which will have what you need for your particular needs.

You can check our "Web Hosting Offers" section and see if you can find one that will meet your needs there and if not then you can also post a thread in our Marketplace with your needs and see if one of our hosting provider members has something to fill your needs. If you can't find anything these ways then you can try to Google something like "Cheap cpanel hosting" or something along those lines to see what you can find.

If you have any particular needs/requirements besides cPanel then let me know and I will be happy to let you know of one that I have used that might be what you need.

Good Luck. ;)

Traveler

I don't have anything that I need other than cpanel and enough space to test some scripts. As long as I can install a script and do some testing then delete it and try something else then I am happy. I just want something cheap because this isn't going to be a hosting plan that I would ever have a site I am keeping on. I will test a script and if it works well for my needs then I will put it on my good hosting. I just don't want to go messing around with my main hosting account and have something go wrong.

Storm

I would say that the most important thing to look for in hosting is good support but I don't know how good the support will be with a low dollar host. If you find one I would just do a search on google for some reviews just to see if they have a lot of bad reviews.

Dean

Are you going to need to have more than one website going at a time or is a hosting account that only allows one website at a time good for your purposes? I ask because there are several cheap options out there that only allow one website at a time.

Cheers, Dean.

Ben

I am looking myself for hosting. I think that customer support should be a big priority because if something is wrong you want to know that the host will take care of you. You also don't want to skimp on things and go with a low quality host. Other than that I am also looking for advice.

Traveler

Thanks for the help all. I'm still shopping around and have been extra busy with some home repairs but will keep you guys updated when I find what I need. Cheers.