Keyword or Brand Name?

Online Bliss

What is better when I am choosing a domain for a new niche, I should domain name with a keyword based domain name to get ranking better on search engines or just choosing according to my selected brand name?

Please share your advice!

RDO Servers

Having keywords in your domain name can give you a SEO boost, but don't get too carried away doing everything for SEO. Use your brand name in your URL to help your brand recognition.

elcidofaguy

With using a keyword in your domain name you need to be careful of G's EMD (exact match domain) algo... As long as your website is not thin/duplicate content, spammy etc then you shouldy be okay with avoiding a EMD penalty. My opinion is that brand name is the better option with regards to building a long term business... Having keywords within your domain is not necessary as other on-page seo factors count e.g. keyword in the url from post title, heading tags etc...

bijutoha

Obviously, I wanna give a thanks to one of my good and helpful friend , Because when I asked him about this same issue, Then he makes me clear with a good example. I think this is the right place to share it ...He said
Biju look this simple view:

"brand name :vs: keywords
IBM.com : vs : companythatmakescomputers.com
CocaCola.com : vs : carbonatedDrink.com
Google.com : vs : Searchengine.com

the most popular sites did not exist as words, before they became websites, facebook (?).

the site name is absolutely irrelevant to search engines;
relevant to people, use what people recognise

Content matters to search engines,
get the content right with the directives from your Google webmaster tools page."

So you may clear now Online Bliss!

Wizard

I prefer domain with brand name.
You can change your business type later and continue using trusted domain name, and do concentrate in the KW's and good SEO for your keywords. Promote your brand in all possible ways and engage in all social medias. It will go good.

Whatever, you chose is not so matter..., keyword reach domain or brand domain.

If you chose keywords reach domain you benefit from increase more traffic when the exact much keyword found on searched term.

If you use brand domain you'll be able to well branding your business to your client.

So, whatever you chose I think that it is okay for you but a few things you should keep in minds.

To keep your domain with the word KISS (keep it short and easy)

unixguru

Brand name wins it for me. I was setting up a hosting company it was very tempting to get hosting in the name, but I believe that would be a limiting factor, as we have started doing consulting and web design, which wouldn't have fit as well on the same site.

ulterios

Brand names are always my personal choice. People remember brand names better than keywords.

People will remember names that are brands, like Coke or Pepsi as an example over keywords like "Soda" or "Something to Drink". ;)

Plus, Google has gotten wise to people using keywords in domain names to help their SEO so it's not anything to think about over a few years ago.

KeralMTG

Brand names are always my personal choice. People remember brand names better than keywords.

People will remember names that are brands, like Coke or Pepsi as an example over keywords like "Soda" or "Something to Drink". ;)

Plus, Google has gotten wise to people using keywords in domain names to help their SEO so it's not anything to think about over a few years ago.
Yes this is a good example. People will remember the brand name like coke and not a keyword like soda. Brand name domain is better for people to remember it.

Dean

I would always go with a nice name that can be a brand name that has the potential to stand out. Keyword domains come off as kind of cheap and meaningless.

I like having domain names that are unique and that aren't confused with another domain name.

Brand all the way!

Cheers, Dean

Maria Marketing

I have been looking into this myself lately and I think that a brand name is a much wiser choice. It helps you stand out and give meaning to your domain name other than just what the topic of your site is. :)