Is issuing an invoice to the client required?

animeshe14

Well, while I was studying some of the freelancing websites I registered in as well in paypal. They are showing a service that allows you to invoice a client. Well I was wondering is invoicing a client a the best way to assure payment from them? should all freelancer avail of the invoicing service?

RDO Servers

That depends on where you are getting the clients from.

If they are coming from a freelancing site (Elance, Freelancer, etc) then they have their own invoicing system in place.

Otherwise, you may need to handle your own invoicing.

Either way, you do want to make sure you have the proper legal documentation to make sure that both parties are protected.

unixguru

Most often you will find that real businesses won't part with money without an invoice as they need it for their records. Otherwise, an auditor (think outside accountant) won't know where the money went, without an invoice the money might have gone into someone's pocket or to someone's Mother or Grandma.

Dean

While an invoice is probably not required/needed in all cases it can make things look more professional with the customer/client and that can help as well.

Just a thought. :)

Cheers, Dean

ulterios

I always like to look and act as professional as possible so whenever I am in a situation that an invoice may or may not be used i'll always issue an invoice. I think it just depends on what kind of image you want to present. ;)

david smith

When we provide some service to a client in exchange, we charge some amount from the client. If there is an invoicing system, then the client can pay directly via the payment link in the invoice it also gives clarity to the service provider and the client. This depends from situation to situation, if one has a good rapport with the client then payments can be made even without an invoice.

shilpa

Yes, invoicing is important when it comes to a client and service provider/seller exchange. When providing for services it is a good habit to send invoices to the potential clients citing them the services that they have purchased and the amount you two have settled upon after the final terms. It may also state the terms that have been agreed upon. Unless paid in advance the amount is due by the client to the service provider/seller. This way you have a professional feel of what you are doing. So, it is important to issue invoices and make proper arrangements for them, i.e. including all necessary details, and terms and conditions.