How to learn SEO?

KeralMTG

Well, being a Freelancer specializing in admin. jobs ( Data Entry, appointment setting, research etc.) it is a total must to improve ones skill to provide the best service and experience to my clients.
SEO is a term that I often see as being a main requirements of the jobs that I am applying for. But the problem is I don't know how to do this. This is a very alien concept for me and I want help on how to better understand and learn SEO.

Please share your inputs on this topic.

Thank you
You can learn seo by reading about it on some of the best seo blogs and sites. One good one is the moz blog. I read lots of posts there and have learned many things.

You can also check youtube for videos about seo but you have to make sure that they are not old or the information might be outdated or changed lately.

Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the activity of optimizing web pages or whole sites in order to make them search engine friendly, thus getting higher positions in search results.

LLRhodes

How can we tell which websites are an authority and have a great reputation? This is something I want to learn more about but there is so many websites with this information and I can not tell which ones are giving good information.

Alexa gives a website rank.
Moz has a free tool bar, you have to look for it.
It's different from the free trial.
You can't download it on mobile.
It only works for Chrome and Firefox.
It gives an authority rating .

Ana

Alexa gives a website rank.
Moz has a free tool bar, you have to look for it.
It's different from the free trial.
You can't download it on mobile.
It only works for Chrome and Firefox.
It gives an authority rating .
Thank you for the information. If I get the tool bar then this will tell which websites are better than others?

LLRhodes

Thank you for the information. If I get the tool bar then this will tell which websites are better than others?
I have since learned the free Web bar is gone.
They allow 2 free keyword searches every 24 hours.

I don't know about better but they have a "Domain Authority " score that gives you an idea of how difficult it is to compete with them for first page search engine results.

Ana

I have since learned the free Web bar is gone.
They allow 2 free keyword searches every 24 hours.

I don't know about better but they have a "Domain Authority " score that gives you an idea of how difficult it is to compete with them for first page search engine results.
Thank you once more for your assistance.

I installed the bar and the numbers it shows are confusing for me. I will probably need to do more reading to see exactly what the numbers mean. When I click on the tool symbol it takes me to the moz site with several numbers. I just have to learn what they mean. I am picking up some things though as I read about websites and seo.

SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. SEO is all about optimizing a website for search engines. SEO is a technique for:
  • Designing and developing a website to rank well in search engine results
  • Improving the volume and quality of traffic to a website from search engines.
  • Marketing by understanding how search algorithms work, and what human visitors might search.
  • The website design and layout gives the first impression about your site. There are sites which are too fancy.
  • Regular net surfers just reach those sites and come out even without creating a single click.
Search engines are very smart but after all, they are software and not human being, who can read the content of their interest. If you make your site too complicated, then the search engine would not be able to parse the content of your site properly, and finally indexing would not be efficient, which results in a low rank.

Marketing Masala

Hi! SEO is a diverse field with a lot of in-depth analysis required at every stage. Many people consider that SEO is all about keyword optimisation however there are a variety of other parameters that are important as well like your content usability, site interface, loading speed, sixe of content on the site and the number of good quality links your site gets back. Just recently I have penned down a step by step strategy to execute SEO and how SEO could be proved a vital component in Digital Marketing for small business. Hope it helps!

Cheers
Shivankit Arora

Traveler

I do not know everything there is to know about seo but I have learned it by reading things on different websites. I search for one specific seo term and read up on that and then that usually triggers me to go look for information on another seo term. Yes it takes time but it's worth it.

KeralMTG

Hi! SEO is a diverse field with a lot of in-depth analysis required at every stage. Many people consider that SEO is all about keyword optimisation however there are a variety of other parameters that are important as well like your content usability, site interface, loading speed, sixe of content on the site and the number of good quality links your site gets back. Just recently I have penned down a step by step strategy to execute SEO and how SEO could be proved a vital component in Digital Marketing for small business. Hope it helps!

Cheers
Shivankit Arora
when you say that size of content is a SEO parameter do you mean it has to be longer or shorter?

odhran

Never get tired of reading on blogs, articles or books and apply it to know if it is effective or not.

When most people they assume difficult, complex, and time consuming, but it doesn’t have to be any of those things. In fact, you can learn SEO in 10 simple steps. All you need to do is lean in, listen, and apply the information you are given.
Setup - During the initial setup stage, you should prepare yourself for success. Just as a house needs a solid foundation before the framing goes up, so does your SEO strategy.
Site Audit - If you have an existing site, you will want to perform a site audit when starting your SEO. With each passing month, Google is becoming more stringent with its penalties, and rules are becoming increasingly cut and dried.
Navigation - Navigation, as it relates to SEO, is important on two ends. First, it is imperative for visitors to be able to navigate smoothly and quickly through your site’s pages. Second, search engines need to find clear connections between individual links and pages.

Raeann Bell

Learning seo is not a easy task. I give you some typs here to clear the basic concept. You can start by reading a good introductory guide – SEOMoz’s Beginner’s Guide to SEO would do. However, this is just the very beginning – don’t stop there. This is just an introduction to help you learn the lingo and be able to understand what it’s all about further on. I find it bewildering with the increasing complexity of our trade how an increasing number of people claim they know SEO after sitting in a two-week course or attending a basic conference. Don’t be like that, keep learning. You also can follow reputable SEOs on Twitter and read what they share. Look at lists of Twitter users by topic some people are putting together – whoever is included in most of the lists is typically the SEOPs most worth following and follow reputable SEOs on Facebook and read what they share there. Follow reputable SEOs on Google+ and read what they share there. You can Read what comes from the search engines – update announcements, interviews with engineers, help articles. But don’t just take their word for it. Get a site. Some hobby site you wouldn’t be afraid to lose. Experiment with it. Track your results. Read the server logs. They make the best read once you’ve got the hang of it and provide plenty of insight.

iamreeence

I have been reading on the replies, and it gives me and other people ideas about SEO as to how it works. I am also concern how SEO works and I want to have an idea of how much you can make from it. If possible, can someone give me a link or blog site that would make me understand of how SEO works, please give a the simplest blog site that explains in thoroughly. I may have a hard time understanding complex explanations, it would be best to hand me a simple explanation too. Thank you!

justraf16

I think the best way to learn about SEO is to got through a lot of research but for my own way of learning it, the best tool for me is watching tutorial videos from youtube. It really showcases the step by step way of learning it

melvs

Well, being a Freelancer specializing in admin. jobs ( Data Entry, appointment setting, research etc.) it is a total must to improve ones skill to provide the best service and experience to my clients.
SEO is a term that I often see as being a main requirements of the jobs that I am applying for. But the problem is I don't know how to do this. This is a very alien concept for me and I want help on how to better understand and learn SEO.

Please share your inputs on this topic.

Thank you

I am also in the same boat as you. Since I want to learn SEO, I have attended a free basic seminar about it, and afterwards I realized that it is what I have been doing from the first time I have learned about coding with HTML, and to top it up I learned free SEO stuff from Udemy. Hope I might have been a little help with this information.