How to get rid of viruses from your PC?

animeshe14

I am having problems with my laptop. It appears virus and other unwanted files have made their home inside. It is affecting the performance of my laptop and causes it to slow or freeze. I have an updated Avira anti virus which I have also set up to scan my laptop daily, but still viruses and unwanted programs still got through.

Can you suggest a free software that can clean up my laptops hardrive and delete all the viruses and unwanted files?

Firstly, I must advise that you get an up to date, accurate scanner for your PC. A paid one which is good is Bulldog and a free one is AVG free. You do not need to upgrade to the premium version of that, it works fine as it is. The link to download this is here.

Next, you will need to get rid of the files already on the system. Please note, AVG CANNOT get rid of viruses already on your system! They can only stop them getting there. Once they are on your computer, you will need a virus cleaning software. You can use CCcleaner, which is located here

Reactions: ims
when everything is exhausted.. the only option is to backup all your files and data, and start from scratch.. it is a painful way of doing things, and some of these Virus's/Trojans are mean suckers.. you have to ask yourself one real question is 8 hours of your time worth it to fight a virus you can't get rid of or just backing up and starting over the only solution?

Mark007

If you are using a licensed anti-virus for your laptop you do not need worry much. Most of the task is done by the anti virus. To increase your laptop speed you can clean up the junk files from your OS drive and keep sufficient space on the active drive to make the OS function properly. You can also use system tools like drive scan and defragment disks to improve your laptop speed.

PTTed

Run these three programs on your computer:
Malwarebytes Antirootkit
Malwarebytes Antimalware
Adwcleaner

Download them. Install them and run them in that order.

Follow the instructions for each one. They are intuitively obvious.

Those programs will clean your computer up.

So you know my background, I provide professional IT services for businesses in New York. Those programs are the 3 best free programs out there right now for cleaning malware/rootkits and viruses off of computers that run any version of Microsoft Windows.

Dicumoseeng

I used to have a similar problem, I downloaded Avast free antivirus and then performed a deep scan, it took a while but it cleaned my computer.

To avoid this problem in the first place, don't download files from untrusted websites, or open any file from someone you just met on the internet.

cesarmatute

I always prefer to scan my files offline and then format my PC. That way I'll ensure that there will be no traces of the virus/malware. If formatting is not an option, I always use at least two offline antiviruses from a flash drive, and make sure that the latest virus definitions are updated.

There are many antivirus that you can use offline: 10 Free and Portable Offline Antivirus Scanners

Lee Ann Hargrave

I am having problems with my laptop. It appears virus and other unwanted files have made their home inside. It is affecting the performance of my laptop and causes it to slow or freeze. I have an updated Avira anti virus which I have also set up to scan my laptop daily, but still viruses and unwanted programs still got through.

Can you suggest a free software that can clean up my laptops harddrive and delete all the viruses and unwanted files?

Getting software that removes it is the best way, however, sometimes even that doesn't work. First, try rebooting into Safe mode and re-run the software. If the software company offers support they will help you. Sometimes if the infection is great, it must be removed by hand and I don't recommend that you do that yourself. Get professional help.