How long does a domain transfer take?

Catherine1

I am thinking about transferring my domain to another place and was wondering how long that takes. I searched in Google and I found answers of around an hour all the way to 7-10 days.

How long does it actually take to transfer a domain?

Catherine1

Like Transferring your domain from Godaddy to Hostgator ( 24-48 Hours )

or

Domain will be at Godaddy and you are shifting hosting to hostgator
Change the Nameserver and wait for the NS to propagate it doesn't take much time ( within 24 hours )

Godaddy & Hostgator ( Used Just for example )
That's all it takes? I kept seeing 7 days as the most common answer and as much as 10 days.

I was just more concerned about it taking so long and getting some of my setting for the domain getting messed up with the transfer and not knowing how long it would take had me concerned that I would not be able to keep an eye on the transfer for a longer time frame.

ulterios

How long a domain transfer takes all depends on the 2 registrars you are using. It can take several days with some registrars but others can be done in about an hour from start to finish.

Many of the losing registrars (the ones you are transferring from) will make the process last longer for no good reason and that holds up the speed of the transfer process.

If you are using registrars like Namecheap and GoDaddy can have transfers done in around an hour, so it all depends on the registrar and if you know how to speed up the process and not delay in unintentionally.

Dean

Some registrars take longer to transfer domains then others so it can be anywhere from an hour to a week. Just make sure that you follow the procedure that each registrar has to be sure to get it done as fast as possible.

JohnQ

They used to take around 5 days a few years ago when I was doing a lot of domain sales and transferring from one registrar to another.

I have seen many people talking around that are saying they are less than a day at some registrars.

Ben

It was several days for a domain transfer a while ago but these days some registrars only take a few hours for transfers.

I transferred one away from Godaddy and it took less than 2 hours.

KeralMTG

Domian transfers usually takes 24 to 72 hrs. But in some cases it will need 7 to 15 days, depends on the registrar where you moving your domain name.
Mine took only some hours but I know some people who had theirs take a few days. If it takes 7 to 15 days that is way too much mate. There should be some kind of rule with a limit so it doesn't take that long.

Marcos

When I transferred my domain not too long ago it only took a few hours and it was completed. I know in years long past it would take close to a week but I don't think it will take that long these days.

Will247

I have been seeing some posts on this lately and it seems like many different domain registrars are starting to transition to faster domain transfers with many taking less than a day and some even an hour or there abouts.

Traveler

I transferred one recently and it only took less than 24 hours to transfer. I don't remember the exact time because I got everything started before I went to bed and when I woke up in the morning the email was there saying it was done.