How hard is it to setup a VPS?

Michael

I saw some places that have VPS hosting real cheap for unmanaged and I was thinking about going that route because I can easily add more storage and abilities to my hosting plan. I just don't know how hard it is to setup.

Is setting up a VPS hard or is it not as hard as they lead you to think?

Gazoo

I have been looking into doing this myself lately and gathering some needed information. Based on what I have been told and read I think that it is going to require a little more technical knowledge then if you are used to using just shared web hosting, which I am.

I have actually thought about just getting a real cheap lower-end VPS hosting plan just to mess around with and try things on without having any live sites one. That way if I screw something up I won't hurt anything of value.

I was just going to use it for learning and then when I get more familiar with everything I need to know I would just upgrade to a bigger and more powerful VPS and move some of my sites to it.

You may want to look into that. :)

KeralMTG

I watched some videos on Youtube about setting up a VPS because I was thinking about getting one because you can upgrade them more easily but the videos I saw lost me some times. You have to be more technical for sure mate.

JohnQ

I read a little about this not too long ago too and it does seem a little extra technical than dealing with regular shared hosting. It might be easier to pay a freelancer to set it up for you and then all you have to do is to maintain it.

There might be some online courses to check out also if you really want to do it all yourself.

Ben

I think that some of the big VPS providers have guides on how to setup a VPS, or at least there used to be some that had guides.

You can also ask the VPS seller where you are wanting to get your service if they have any guides or if there are any that they recommend.

Melker

I was trying to figure out how to set 1 up myself but when I was looking at some how-to articles I just found out that it's over my head.

If you figure it out or find a good tutorial then post it here please. :Icon Rock:

ulterios

I saw some places that have VPS hosting real cheap for unmanaged and I was thinking about going that route because I can easily add more storage and abilities to my hosting plan. I just don't know how hard it is to setup.
It can be harder than using shared hosting for sure so if you aren't ready to dive into the more technical aspects of servers and other technical stuff you can start with a managed VPS and then later move into the unmanaged VPS services.

Another option would be to get an unmanaged VPS and then pay a freelancer or service to set it up for you.

Is setting up a VPS hard or is it not as hard as they lead you to think?
Some things are easier if you do a little checking and reading on the things you need to do. If you contact the support at a web host that you are considering getting your VPS from they usually have some guides or can at least point you in the right direction as to where you can look.

Michael

It can be harder than using shared hosting for sure so if you aren't ready to dive into the more technical aspects of servers and other technical stuff you can start with a managed VPS and then later move into the unmanaged VPS services.

Another option would be to get an unmanaged VPS and then pay a freelancer or service to set it up for you.

Some things are easier if you do a little checking and reading on the things you need to do. If you contact the support at a web host that you are considering getting your VPS from they usually have some guides or can at least point you in the right direction as to where you can look.
I thought about starting with a managed VPS but the prices are so much higher.

someone told me about asking a host about guides so that's something I might do.

ulterios

I thought about starting with a managed VPS but the prices are so much higher.

someone told me about asking a host about guides so that's something I might do.
It's more expensive because they take care of all the things that you wouldn't know how to do or don't have the time to do.

If you are worried about price then get an unmanaged VPS and pay someone to set it up for you and then all you have to do is the upkeep and updating which would be a lot easier than setting the whole thing up.

Will247

I have been looking at the possibility of getting a VPS and was reading some articles on VPS setup for beginners but they are not for beginners. I got lost a couple of times on some of the terms and things they said and I had to do a search to find out what they meant.

If someone knows of any good VPS setup articles, guides or videos I would be very interested in getting a link to them.

Traveler

I was looking at how to setup a VPS a couple of times and all the guides and videos are assuming that people understand all the terms. If there was a real beginners guide then that would be very nice. I want to have a VPS but I don't know many of the terms and processes that are needed to set one up.

Dean

I have never setup a VPS myself but that is something that I have looked into a little and something that I will probably be doing later this year.

While doing my research on setup I found several tutorials but most of which leave out important information or they are more geared towards people who have some knowledge. I did find one that seems like a good one.

Here is the site for anyone who wants to check it out: mckerracher.net/vps

Marcos

I have never setup a VPS myself but that is something that I have looked into a little and something that I will probably be doing later this year.

While doing my research on setup I found several tutorials but most of which leave out important information or they are more geared towards people who have some knowledge. I did find one that seems like a good one.

That guide has some nice detail to it. Most of the guide for vps setup I have seen are vague on some of the details but this is more complete.

I have wanted to look into getting a vps so this may come in useful.

Michael

It's more expensive because they take care of all the things that you wouldn't know how to do or don't have the time to do.

If you are worried about price then get an unmanaged VPS and pay someone to set it up for you and then all you have to do is the upkeep and updating which would be a lot easier than setting the whole thing up.
Thanks for the info. I might just do like you said about paying someone to set it up for me and then do the upkeep.
I was looking at how to setup a VPS a couple of times and all the guides and videos are assuming that people understand all the terms. If there was a real beginners guide then that would be very nice. I want to have a VPS but I don't know many of the terms and processes that are needed to set one up.
That's the same situation I am in myself since I haven't done anything like that before. I need to do a lot of reading I think.

I will look at that one and see if I can understand most of it. Thanks

Melker

That's much better than the ones that I saw when I was looking for guide on setting them up. I just bookmarked it for when I get ready for a vps.

Michael

That's much better than the ones that I saw when I was looking for guide on setting them up. I just bookmarked it for when I get ready for a vps.
I am planning to rent one for a month to try the tutorial and see if I can do it. I will let you know if it work or not if you like.

Marcos

I am planning to rent one for a month to try the tutorial and see if I can do it. I will let you know if it work or not if you like.
I would also be interested in knowing if that guide is a good one or not. Please share your experience here if you will.

Traveler

I would like to know too. I want to get a vps to have more controls over my hosting and to upgrade the resources if I need them without having to rely on expensive hosts.

Kania

Did you already try setting up a vps hosting service? I have been thinking about getting one for myself but I can not afford a managed vps service for right now so I would get an unmanaged one.

I just don't know how to set one up yet so if you found out how to do it easily then maybe you can share your experiences.

MVPS

There are 2 options which would set your VPS without much experience or hassle.
1. Install WHM/cPanel - the easiest solution, works mostly out of the box, but it costs..
2. Install CentOS Web Panel - not as user friendly as cpane, but it's open source and free. If you can get used to it, you'll save a lot of money on cpanel and benefit from the full power of the vps. (This is our general recommendation for clients like you)