How do I start an email list?

JennyJ

Hey everyone. I have been reading that a good email list is the most valuable thing for an internet marketer. I don't know if it's true or not but I think that having a good one will really help with getting more sales but I don't know where or how to start an email list of my own.

Does anyone have any tips or information for someone new to email marketing?

Dean

Hi Jenny, You heard that right! An email list can be an internet marketer's most valuable asset and can help you make good money if it's a good one and you know how to utilize it.

To start one for yourself you'll need something that people will want so offering them some kind of free ebook, report or something else can help get you started.

You'll want to find something that people in your target audience will want and in exchange for you giving them what they want, they subscribe to your email list.

Create a landing page with a signup form with what you are offering people. Then they get what you are giving them in exchange for signing up via a download/link.

You will first want to see what people in your target audience would want that you could exchange them for their email address.

You can look around the forum for more information on landing or squeeze pages if you need more information and help with that or you can search Google or another search engine site.

If you need help just let us know on here and some of us will be able to get you pointed in the right direction.

ulterios

Hey everyone. I have been reading that a good email list is the most valuable thing for an internet marketer.
A good email list can be the most valuable thing for an internet marketer but that will depend greatly on the marketer, their skills and the way that they are using that email list.

Does anyone have any tips or information for someone new to email marketing?
There are two ways to go. One is to build the email list yourself and the other is buying or otherwise obtaining an email list. Do you have an idea as to which route you are interested in?

JennyJ

Do I buy the things that I would give away or are those something that you make yourself or pay someone to make?

ulterios

Do I buy the things that I would give away or are those something that you make yourself or pay someone to make?
You can pretty much do whichever you like. It helps to have something that is unique sometimes and it always helps to have something that people in your target audience would want.

You can do PLR/MRR items also if it's authorized in the license agreement as well.

Traveler

You can get a good start by buying an email list that is for your niche. The only thing is I don't know where to buy them that is from a trusted seller. Some sellers just give you junk email addresses and tell you that they are for your niche.

JennyJ

You can get a good start by buying an email list that is for your niche. The only thing is I don't know where to buy them that is from a trusted seller. Some sellers just give you junk email addresses and tell you that they are for your niche.
If I buy an email list then will the people on the list be mad because they didn't give me their email address themselves?

Traveler

If I buy an email list then will the people on the list be mad because they didn't give me their email address themselves?
I really don't think so since they really will not know that you bought their email address unless you tell them that you did.

Maybe someone with more email marketing experience will know that better.

Catherine1

You can find something that you think that people in your niche will have a use for like maybe an ebook or something like that and then do some marketing of it as a free gift and that should draw people to want to sign up for your email list.

Storm

If you need an email list quickly then I would just buy one that will fit your needs and then just add to it by using the ideas that some others pointed out.

That way you can start marketing right away to your list.

One of a little business’s finest marketing assets is a healthy email list. While correct management and use of your email file will drive revenue immensely, it is often a challenge to create the email list itself. With inbox clutter on the rise and customers becoming more sensitive toward any unwanted communication, marketers should develop their subscriber lists with relevance and care.
Direct Mail – Make The Most Of This Longstanding Channel
Email Sign-Up Boxes – Enable Customers To Sign Up For Email
Account Registrations and Online Ecommerce Forms – Incorporate Email Sign-Up Into Your Forms
Word of Mouth – Another Great Way to Grow Your Email File
Customer Requests and Downloads – Provide Email Sign-Up Opportunities for Potential Customers
Point of Sale – Make Email Acquisition Part of the Checkout Process
Send a Welcome Email Offering a Free Gift with Any Purchase
Call-Center Representatives (CSRs) – Request Customers' Email Addresses While on Customer Service Calls
Conclusion

JennyJ

If you need an email list quickly then I would just buy one that will fit your needs and then just add to it by using the ideas that some others pointed out.
I have been thinking about doing that but I just have no experience buying an email list so I don't know how to get a good one and even where to look.

Point of Sale – Make Email Acquisition Part of the Checkout Process
I didn't think of this. Do I have to notify people that their email will be collected during the time of purchase or can I just put that in the terms of service?

Storm

I have been thinking about doing that but I just have no experience buying an email list so I don't know how to get a good one and even where to look.
Sorry but I can't help you there. I have never bought an email list so I wouldn't know where to buy any. You can try posting a thread in the marketplace section that you are looking to buy one.

JennyJ

Sorry but I can't help you there. I have never bought an email list so I wouldn't know where to buy any. You can try posting a thread in the marketplace section that you are looking to buy one.
That's ok. I think I am just going to take the slower route and just build up my own list. I did some looking in Google and Bing but the websites that I found that were selling them looked a little cheap looking so I don't know if that's a sign of their list quality or even if they are legitimate.

Storm

That's ok. I think I am just going to take the slower route and just build up my own list. I did some looking in Google and Bing but the websites that I found that were selling them looked a little cheap looking so I don't know if that's a sign of their list quality or even if they are legitimate.
I know what you mean. Most of the sites that I have ran across that see them look like that. I don't think it means anything more than they are just not too worried about their site design though but I understand your concerns.

Kania

I was just about to start a topic on this but found this one in a search. I have been wanting to build a good email marketing list for my internet marketing but I really do not know how. Thank you for all the tips and advice everyone.

I think I just need to find what I can give away now. :D

Does anyone know if we can buy ebooks to then give away after we buy them?

Marcos

I was just about to start a topic on this but found this one in a search. I have been wanting to build a good email marketing list for my internet marketing but I really do not know how. Thank you for all the tips and advice everyone.

I think I just need to find what I can give away now. :D

Some ebooks you can buy and then give them away. You will have to check the terms for use before you buy them.

Maybe you can just write one yourself or pay someone to write one for you.

Kania

Some ebooks you can buy and then give them away. You will have to check the terms for use before you buy them.

Maybe you can just write one yourself or pay someone to write one for you.
I don't think that I will be able to write a good ebooks myself without any experience. I can maybe pay someone to write one for me but I don't know how expensive that will be.

JennyJ

Some ebooks can be given away by the person who buys or gets it but some you can't give away. You need to see if there is any kind of information on the rights that come with the ebook.