How do I choose the colors for my blog?

Ana

I will be making a new blog soon and I was thinking about which colors I might use on it. I was wondering if I should look at other blogs that are in the same topic to get color ideas or is there another better way to decide what colors to use. What is the best way to pick the colors for your blog?

ulterios

There seems to be a lot of information out there that says that you should pick this color or that color based on the niche and/or content of the site but I have always believed that you should just pick colors that you like and that look appropriate to the type of site you have.

As long as your site is visually appealing then that's all that matters IMHO. ;)

Dean

Sometimes you can choose colors that are common to a particular niche, like green and sometimes gold are used in money niches.

Personally I sometimes just kind of look around at other sites in a similar niche to see what other sites use when I am not sure what colors I want to use.

It also can kind of depend on the niche so you might want to take that into consideration on your color choices.

Ana

There seems to be a lot of information out there that says that you should pick this color or that color based on the niche and/or content of the site but I have always believed that you should just pick colors that you like and that look appropriate to the type of site you have.

As long as your site is visually appealing then that's all that matters IMHO. ;)
The more I am thinking about it the more I have starting to think that the blog will be about cooking. My favorite color is green so I do not know if that is good for a cooking blog or not.

Ana

Sometimes you can choose colors that are common to a particular niche, like green and sometimes gold are used in money niches.

Personally I sometimes just kind of look around at other sites in a similar niche to see what other sites use when I am not sure what colors I want to use.

It also can kind of depend on the niche so you might want to take that into consideration on your color choices.
I was thinking of using green because it is my favorite color but my blog will probably be about cooking so I do not know if that color is appropriate for it or not.

thero

If I may suggest, try including some reds and yellows as much as possible if your topic is about cooking since these colors stimulate hunger. Your favorite color is okay especially if you want to promote healthy eating (green is associated with vegetables when it comes to food). I would suggest using a darker shade of green however. Avoid too much use of blue since it's the most "unappetizing" color (again, when it comes to food).
Generally, light or dark is okay, but having a light background behind the main text is much more pleasing to the eye, in my opinion.

Since you'll be dealing with cooking, a bright palette is definitely the way to go. Try to keep the colour count down as much as possible, focus on two/three colours: one will be the background colour, which you'll use in different shades to make up most of your layout, and then use the second as an accent colour (being consistent with it makes navigation much easier and pleasing to viewers).
As for what colours to use, yellow and red sound like great suggestions. Very bright colours work best as accent colours, but red is way too standoffish to be used as background colour. Maybe some lighter, paler shades of orange will work best there. The background colour should never pop out too much.

The blog colors are should be used for highlighting any particular part or point. So if your page is white than you can choose any kind of low vibrant colors, like yellow or green or blue.

JohnQ

I think that you can choose whatever colors you want to some degree but there are certain niches that certain colors or shades should be used.

Like if you had a blog about baby things then soft colors and pastels are usually what we see and seems to be very appropriate to the niche.

Kania

I think one good way to pick the colors for your blog is to pick colors that you like and colors that go together good but do not look out of place or strange. You can also check on similar blogs like what you want yours to look like and get some good ideas. Just do not copy someone and be unique.

tophew

For me choose the color for your blog that matches the blog post you want and also the colors you love. i strongly suggest that for blogging try to use light colors in outer layer and for text maybe little bit dark so that it will out stand and can easily be read. just be yourself and accept feedback's from other people so that you can improve more.

Will247

I have always been the kind of person that doesn't usually like to go with the same colors that everyone else is using. I like things to stand out and not be confused with something similar.

Going on this belief, I would juts use colors that you like, that go good with the material of the blog and that do not look like similar blogs.

Ana

If I may suggest, try including some reds and yellows as much as possible if your topic is about cooking since these colors stimulate hunger. Your favorite color is okay especially if you want to promote healthy eating (green is associated with vegetables when it comes to food). I would suggest using a darker shade of green however. Avoid too much use of blue since it's the most "unappetizing" color (again, when it comes to food).
Generally, light or dark is okay, but having a light background behind the main text is much more pleasing to the eye, in my opinion.
I did not know that those colors stimulated hunger. Thank you for this tip.
Since you'll be dealing with cooking, a bright palette is definitely the way to go. Try to keep the colour count down as much as possible, focus on two/three colours: one will be the background colour, which you'll use in different shades to make up most of your layout, and then use the second as an accent colour (being consistent with it makes navigation much easier and pleasing to viewers).
As for what colours to use, yellow and red sound like great suggestions. Very bright colours work best as accent colours, but red is way too standoffish to be used as background colour. Maybe some lighter, paler shades of orange will work best there. The background colour should never pop out too much.
That is a very helpful reply. Thank you for these tips.

Would a very light shade of yellow be good for a background color?
The blog colors are should be used for highlighting any particular part or point. So if your page is white than you can choose any kind of low vibrant colors, like yellow or green or blue.
I was thinking about using a very light yellow for the background with a green for a highlight and accent color with a brown for the text color. Will those be good?
I think one good way to pick the colors for your blog is to pick colors that you like and colors that go together good but do not look out of place or strange. You can also check on similar blogs like what you want yours to look like and get some good ideas. Just do not copy someone and be unique.
I have checked many of them and the most common colors that are used are earth tones. some looked good and other not so much. I am still looking for ideas and final decisions.
For me choose the color for your blog that matches the blog post you want and also the colors you love. i strongly suggest that for blogging try to use light colors in outer layer and for text maybe little bit dark so that it will out stand and can easily be read. just be yourself and accept feedback's from other people so that you can improve more.
Do you mean that I should ask for feedback from people before I finish the blog or after by some people that come to it?
I have always been the kind of person that doesn't usually like to go with the same colors that everyone else is using. I like things to stand out and not be confused with something similar.

Going on this belief, I would juts use colors that you like, that go good with the material of the blog and that do not look like similar blogs.
Many of the blog in the same topics are using Earth tones. Finding something that is not in that type of color group might look a little strange you think?

Kania

I have checked many of them and the most common colors that are used are earth tones. some looked good and other not so much. I am still looking for ideas and final decisions.
I think Earth tones can be good for some blogs if the colors are looking like they belong there and if they are looking good together.

CookieRunner

I will be making a new blog soon and I was thinking about which colors I might use on it. I was wondering if I should look at other blogs that are in the same topic to get color ideas or is there another better way to decide what colors to use. What is the best way to pick the colors for your blog?

Hi there girl, :Dans2:

I love topics about colors! :olov:
Since you've mentioned that your blog is about cooking, I would like you to know that "BLUE" is the an appetite-suppressing color so maybe don't use that color... Now when we talk about the appetite-stimulating colors, that would be the "warm colors." You could probably use the colors -- RED, YELLOW, or your favorite color which is GREEN - most especially if you cook healthy food. (These colors also subconsciously triggers hunger-- according to a study)

Of course you also have to consider what's pleasing and attracting to the eyes of the audience and of course put enticing and sumptuous images of food that you cooked. :Dancing2: