Guest Posting for getting a backlink back to domain homepage or individual page?

Adrianhenry

I am offered to buy guest posting on a high PR sites, i chose 2 sites for guest posting

but I am wondering how i should build backlink strategy

Guest Posting for getting a backlink back to domain homepage or individual page? what is more advantages?

PTTed

I am offered to buy guest posting on a high PR sites, i chose 2 sites for guest posting

but I am wondering how i should build backlink strategy

Guest Posting for getting a backlink back to domain homepage or individual page? what is more advantages?

In general it is harder to get a link to an inner page on your website than it is to get a link to your homepage. So in those circumstances you are typically better off building the link to an inner page.

Another point to consider is that Google can see how many links point to your inner pages and how many links point to your homepage. If you build almost all of your links to your homepage, at some point it begins to become obvious that you are manually building links. Google doesn't like that. So you want to avoid giving that impression.

One measure of a website's value is how many links point to the inner pages of the website. If a website has a lot of links pointing to the inner pages, it is usually because that website has high value content on those inner pages. Think Wikipedia as an example. A website's homepage is usually less useful to a person than an inner page with the more specific and more relevant content they are looking for. So naturally, the inner pages of the website should earn links more frequently than the homepage does.

Those are the reasons why I would strongly encourage you to link to inner pages on your site. I would spread those links around a lot too. Don't just link to a handful of inner pages. Link to many different ones using lots of different anchor text.

elasticcat

Another point to consider is that Google can see how many links point to your inner pages and how many links point to your homepage. If you build almost all of your links to your homepage, at some point it begins to become obvious that you are manually building links. Google doesn't like that. So you want to avoid giving that impression.
Great point!.

Do I need to limit links for homepage?

For inner pages, I should choose URLs from categories or posts to building backlinks? is that different?

PTTed

Great point!.

Do I need to limit links for homepage?

For inner pages, I should choose URLs from categories or posts to building backlinks? is that different?

Whether or not you want to create links to your homepage or let them appear naturally is entirely up to you. If you are not going to build a large quantity of links to your website, then it doesn't matter if you build any links to your homepage at all. If you intend to build a large number of links to your website, then yes you probably should make some of them point to your homepage just so it doesn't look abnormal.

In certain situations it makes sense to link to your homepage (like in your profile pages on social media sites for example). In other situations, like inside a blog post when someone is referencing something useful on your website, then it makes more sense that they would link to the inner page. So do that.

Your homepage will typically acquire the most Google PageRank on your site anyway (or at least close to it) simply because of the internal linking structure of your website. Most pages on your website link back to your homepage whereas most of the inner pages on your site only get linked to from a few other spots on your site.

You can have an internal page on your site accrue more PageRank than your homepage does, but your homepage will have more PageRank than 99% of the pages on your website.

And you can funnel that homepage PageRank to whatever inner pages on your site that you want to rank the highest.

As far as choosing categories vs. posts it depends on where you want the PageRank to flow and which page you want to see ranked in the search results. Generally, most people would want the post to show up in the search result because it is usually the most relevant and most valuable content compared to a category. However, there are certain situations, (like in the case of a really short tail keyword search) that you might want the category to rank higher. So in rare situations if you are linking with a really short keyword, maybe you would want to link to the category. In the vast majority of cases you probably should link to an individual post.

And if your CMS or a plugin is doing rel=canonical for you, then it really doesn't matter anyway. Your most relevant post within the category will automatically get credit for the inbound link.

As far as choosing categories vs. posts it depends on where you want the PageRank to flow and which page you want to see ranked in the search results. Generally, most people would want the post to show up in the search result because it is usually the most relevant and most valuable content compared to a category. However, there are certain situations, (like in the case of a really short tail keyword search) that you might want the category to rank higher. So in rare situations if you are linking with a really short keyword, maybe you would want to link to the category. In the vast majority of cases you probably should link to an individual post.
Good points, if I have a choice to put one link on other site then I should put homepage or category or post URL on their page? what is more benefits?

For example, if i buy a link on a high quality site, i should put my homepage URL or targeted category on?

PTTed

Good points, if I have a choice to put one link on other site then I should put homepage or category or post URL on their page? what is more benefits?

For example, if i buy a link on a high quality site, i should put my homepage URL or targeted category on?

It really depends on the situation. The link should point to the most appropriate page for that link. That might be an inner page or that might be your homepage.

In general, I think you are much better off focusing on getting links for the inner pages of your website where the best content is on your site.

If an investigative reporter is writing a research article and is explaining something and then links to a website as a reference, he is going to link to the most appropriate place that helps the reader. If he is linking to a website that has a deep explanation of something complicated, he is probably going to be linking to an inner page that contains the explanation of that complicated topic. If he is mentioning a person by name and saying that person runs XYZ website then he is probably going to link to the XYZ company website homepage.

If the link is being used as a reference for more information then the link is probably going to point to an inner page on your website. Just like the links at the bottom of a Wikipedia page. If the link is coming from a list of websites that sell product "X" then that list of websites is probably going to link to each website's homepage.

Do you get what I mean? The link should point to the most appropriate location on your site. Sometimes people will try too hard to get links for a specific page on their website. Don't waste your time and energy doing that. Get a link to any page on your website, especially the inner pages. And sometimes people focus too much on trying to get a certain anchor text in a link to a certain page. Don't waste your time on that. It isn't worth the extra energy of worrying about that. Just get the link to whatever page you can get it. If you can get the anchor text you want, then great get it. If you can't, or if it is going to be a pain in the neck to try to get it, then don't worry about it. Just get the link to any page you can with any anchor text that you can.

Do you really want to start buying links though? Do you think that is the best long term plan for your situation?

If you are just thinking "I need to go buy links and I just need to figure out where to buy them from and where to point them to" then you are on track to getting your website penalized and demoted in the search results.

I challenge you to think about it differently. Think about this: What kinds of sites in my industry do I consider to be high quality sites right now? Why do people tell each other about those sites? Why do people link to those sites? What types of other websites link out to those sites? What would I have to do to get those sites to link to my site too? What would I have to do to get people to tell each other about my site? What would I have to do to get people to talk about my site at all?

Asking yourself those questions is a really beneficial exercise that will point you in the right direction for promoting your website.