Duplicate Content affects SEO ranking or not?

Martin Kahn

I would like to know duplicate content affects SEO ranking or not?

My team is making a clone site with a litter duplicate content on new sites, I suggested not to use them but some members in the group disagreed with me, how to permit them duplicated content is not good for SEO and website?

Thanks in advance

RDO Servers

@Luca is correct. You will get penalised for plagiarism content.

I could build a site scraper that copies all of the content from USA Today's website. Do you really think Google will rank my site as high as USA Today's?

tutughosh

That's depend on your What kind of SEO you want to do for your Site.. For Long Term Ranking, Slow Process you need Unique Content..

For Churn and Burn or BH Seo do hell with unique.. You can easily rank with Copied/Spun Content easily... And can stay 6-12mnths easily...

Nytshade

You get penalized by Google if you have duplicate content within your website, if most of the content on your site is the same then you get penalized.

The whole internet is full of duplicate content, look at lyric websites, news sites, stores, recipes etc. so Google will never penalize you for having the same content as another site. I know a lot of news bloggers who simply copy and paste content from top news sites to their blogs and get truck loads of traffic as well as good rankings on Google search.

Content curators as well, there's a lot of them and Google does rank some curated stuff if it's relevant and meets their guidelines. So don't worry too much about duplicate content, just as long as it's not happening within your website.

elcidofaguy

In a lot of cases many don't realize that they have duplicate content issues e.g. url formats with post id vs. post name etc... Therefore in order to prevent that use the canonicalization tag i.e details here.

Having duplicate content from others will do nothing for your rankings... G has already crawled and given credit for that content... As Nythshade mentioned content curation is one way that you can use other content with adding value as you can offer a critique and comparison which many find useful...

Actually, it's so bad idea to use duplicated content on your website because it'll affected to your long term earning. Google is clever search engine, but the machine but working like a human. I think that you website will banned anytime search engines found duplicated content on your blog.

I think that the best to convince your team about duplicated content, is to ask them and clear about your dream. Does your business expected long term earning or it's just a micro niche blog.

You also can find more information about duplicated content on various SEO companies such SEOMoz, SearchEngland, and else. I think that the wrote a lot about disadvantages of duplicated content...

So,

Once, clarify your goal with your team
Provided them the proof of disadvantages