Does domain age really matter for SEO?

Old is Gold please apply the rule of your Domain because old domain aver you did SEO and made a links. So Old Domain is already crawl in search engine and connected to other doamin.

ProfMike

I would be cautious when purchasing an old domain name, in that though it is true that they are better for SEO, you pick up the old negatives with the domain also.
So just do your due diligence when finding an older domain name and you should be fine. But investigate the name before you make the purchase. Do not assume that the seller is being up front with you on status and traffic.

ulterios

Hello everyone,

Now, I want to buy a new domain and starting SEO for it but I heard that domains with good history ( expired domains ) are easy to do SEO than new domains, it this exact?But the price for them is more expensive. Could you confirm me? thanks
Age does not mean a domain is good for SEO, look up some Google Webmaster Videos on Youtube or relevant articles around the web. Google has stated that they count the age of a website for SEO purposes by the first time they crawled a given site. If you buy a domain and it has a new site on it (or 1 you build), then to Google it is a new site and will count the age accordingly.

What can make a difference as far as SEO is the fact that their might be some residual SEO factors when you buy an old/deleted/dropped/etc. domain. Things like backlinks (although you will probably have to do some work to keep them active & of value), indexed pages, etc.

One thing to also consider with older domains is that not only good will transfer to the new owner, but some bad things might as well.

What is more important to Google would be the length of the current registration (when it expires) as Google see's this as that the site will be around a while and not some "Here today, Gone tomorrow" junk site. Google it, they have said this many times.

I would worry about getting a good domain first, considering other factors like brandability, meaning, etc., before worrying about the age of the domain. If it happens to be an older one you get and there are some residual SEO benefits, then sure, go ahead and get it. However, I wouldn't make domain age a main point in the value of a domain.

Good Luck

Dean

As pointed out by others above, there can be some Seo benefits, you just need to make sure and do some investigating before buying old domains. Not only can you get some kind of Seo increase, you might also find out it has bad backlinks, previous owner spam, google penalties and other negative things.

Just do some investigating before buying an old domain.

Cheers, Dean

SenseiSteve

I believe that how long the domain is registered for does matter to Google, and I think it matters to in-the-know prospects. This goes toward the trust factor in know, like and trust. Combine those three and you've got a winning combination.

ragra1212

While the importance of domain age has been hotly debated for years, in fact, there is little weight given to domain age, especially after a site is 2 or 3 months old. For a new site, domain age is a factor, because typically a new site does not have much content on it, so for that reason it will be more difficult to rank well in the search index. After a few months, site rankings can be based on giving visitors the good content they are looking for, so at that point age is no longer such an important issue.

ulterios

You must have heard the saying Old is Gold. Similarly in this case older domain have more worth in SEO.
This is not always the case with old domains. If an old domain has Google or other penalties than that old domain can be worth less than a new one, especially if that old domain has a manual Google penalty.

Plus if the old domain has bad backlinks that can hurt a potential site, was used for adult or other purpose that isn't good, has a bad reputation on the web, has black hat SEO techniques that were used previously or any number of other things that are not good, then the "Old" domain might be worth less than a brand new domain.

Sometimes old is gold but other times old can spell doom, it just depends on the history of that domain. ;)

Dean

You must have heard the saying Old is Gold. Similarly in this case older domain have more worth in SEO.
So, would an older domain that has a bunch of spam links be "Gold"?

Old doesn't mean good, it can just mean that there might be some good backlinks already for the domain from a previous website that was on that domain.

The saying for domains should be "Old is Gold, Sometimes!".

Cheers, Dean.

Ben

Domain age really only matters if the domain had a good website on it before and has some good backlinks and maybe some indexed pages. You just need to make sure and check to make sure any old domain you buy doesn't have any kind of penalties or a spam tag associated with it.