Anyone tried VPS from hostgator?

joeymills

I have a shared hosting on hostgator but I got some emails reports about problem high load on my web hosting.

They suggest me update to a VPS package, I surveyed their vps packages but price was too high for me.

Are there any good VPS hosting services out there?

what things should I consider before update to a VPS?

Hostlumina

Couple of things.

Do you have the technical knowledge to managing a VPS? If not, you will need to look at a fully managed VPS which will be pricy. If you know how to manage a VPS/Dedicated server then you can look at an affordable VPS. Keep in mind that very low cost VPS can perform at the same level of shared hosting or less at times.

If you go with a self managed VPS. Consider the cost of a control panel such as cPanel if that is something you really need or want. VPS licenses go between $14-20/mth. Also, look at it's requirements it will help you with your research on how many cores and ram you will need minimum for the control panel.

Did hostgator give you any data in regards high usage? What kind of site do you have and approximately how many visitors do you get a day & monthly?

joeymills

Did hostgator give you any data in regards high usage? What kind of site do you have and approximately how many visitors do you get a day & monthly?
I am using baby package from them. They said shared hosting only accommodate around 20 visitors online all the time thus my site is over load some time.
high usage with too many queries in Mysql and traffic increased suddenly.

Hostlumina

I am using baby package from them. They said shared hosting only accommodate around 20 visitors online all the time thus my site is over load some time.

Well, it seems like you are outgrowing/outgrown shared hosting. I am not sure what is your budget but you could look at wiredtree. They offer fully managed VPS with cPanel.

If you have the technical knowledge.... take a look at crocweb or hawkhost. They offer affordable unmanaged VPS and have good reputation. I have used them in past.

RDO Servers

If they are telling you that their shared hosting can only accommodate 20 concurrent users, that is pathetic and speaks volumes to the kind of services they provide! Shared hosting can inface handle way more then 20 concurrent visitors, IF it is quality hosting.

What kind of site do you have?
What kind of platform is it on?
How many daily visitors do you have?
Are there any other concerns you have?

To me, it sounds like they have poor quality servers, and are just trying to upsell you. Sure, I can offer you a quality VPS, but I would hate to see you spend the money on a VPS, if a quality shared account will handle your needs!

Hostlumina

If they are telling you that their shared hosting can only accommodate 20 concurrent users, that is pathetic and speaks volumes to the kind of services they provide! Shared hosting can inface handle way more then 20 concurrent visitors, IF it is quality hosting.

What kind of site do you have?
What kind of platform is it on?
How many daily visitors do you have?
Are there any other concerns you have?

To me, it sounds like they have poor quality servers, and are just trying to upsell you. Sure, I can offer you a quality VPS, but I would hate to see you spend the money on a VPS, if a quality shared account will handle your needs!

If he is flagged at 20 concurrent connections.... I am afraid he is quickly outgrowing shared hosting.

Majority of hosts offer between 10-15 concurrent connections which is enough for shared hosting, some do have it at on the high end at 25 (premium) unless you are looking at semi-dedicated hosting which they will be much higher. This could be for sure an option for the OP.

Yes, there is a possibility Hostgator performance but I got a feeling he will be back to square one in no time if his traffic is increasing.

Last edited:

RDO Servers

If he is flagged at 20 concurrent connections.... I am afraid he is quickly outgrowing shared hosting.

Majority of hosts offer between 10-15 concurrent connections which is enough for shared hosting, some do have it at on the high end at 25 (high priced - premium) unless you are looking at semi-dedicated hosting which they will be much higher. This could be for sure an option for the OP.

Yes, there is a possibility Hostgator performance but I got a feeling he will be back to square one in no time if his traffic is increasing.

The OP mentioned a limit of "20 visitors online". Which is not exactly the same as 20 concurrent connections, unless all of those visitors hit the page at the exact same time. Anyway, I still say 20 is quite low, even for shared hosting. Our limit is 200 concurrent connections per account.

Hostlumina

The OP mentioned a limit of "20 visitors online". Which is not exactly the same as 20 concurrent connections, unless all of those visitors hit the page at the exact same time. Anyway, I still say 20 is quite low, even for shared hosting. Our limit is 200 concurrent connections per account.

I highly doubt that 20 visitors while cause Hostgator to ask you to upgrade.... but you never know.. ;)

200 concurrent connections for a dynamic site is aggressive for shared hosting.