Video is the new picture

David Ewen

Before pictures were necessary items on a website. Now as videos are easy to produce and can be embedded on websites so easily, why aren't people taking advantage of it? I'd like to know your thoughts. Am I wasting time using video and should I just focus on pictures? Or is there a way to make videos more effective?

Hostlumina

Videos are great to reach some people visually and through audio. However, I do not think it will ever replace images for a couple of reasons.

#1 - Even though producing a video has gotten a lot easier. It still requires a lot of hours to create, at least an effective video that will convey the message very well. I known people in the industry creating commercials and who have done very well on youtube and it can take days to create a good strong 3 minute video.

#2 - Images are up to date delivering very strong effective messages within seconds with the right text content & image.

Having video on your site helps as long as it is done well for the visitors.

IMHO, if someone is selling something that required documentation, they are doing potential disservice to themselves and their customers by not creating how-to videos for their products. Less support and more sales using videos.