Swap memory linux?

Martin Kahn

Hey Guys,

I saw this feature in a VPS offer but I don't know what is swap memory in linux web hosting?

When and how it will be used on my VPS?

SWAP is a virtual memory resource partition on a hard drive which can be used when the system runs out of RAM. When the system runs out of RAM, inactive pages from the RAM are sent to the SWAP freeing up a small amount of RAM to be used by the system. Though SWAP can help systems with low amounts of RAM, it should not be considered a replacement for getting more RAM but only a temporary solution as it is much slower than Physical RAM.

Mark007

You can say it is the extra virtual RAM that can be used when you exhaust your original memory for your server. It helps to run your server without much issue.

RDO Servers

You can say it is the extra virtual RAM that can be used when you exhaust your original memory for your server. It helps to run your server without much issue.
Ummmm, kinda, but not really.

It is extra space that your application can use as memory, but it does not work as well.

You should insure you have enough Ram and do not rely on swap memory!

SWAP should not be considered a drop-in replacement for RAM, as it doesn't exactly function the same (for 1) and it's definitely not as fast as physical memory.