Storing your files on the web?

animeshe14

I keep hearing about cloud storage in TV and the net. I want to try this out but I am afraid of the security risk as well as loosing all my files if ever my computer crashed ( it happened to my phone and it was heart breaking).

Is saving my files in cloud storage safe? if my files are saved in the net does it mean it can be viewed and downloaded by anyone from the web?

I would really appreciate your feedback on this guys.

Reactions: ims

RDO Servers

Using a cloud file storage, is not exactly the same as storing them on the web, persay.

If your talking about services like Google Drive, DropBox, etc. then your files are synced with your PC and your cloud account, but are only web accessible while you are logged into your account, or if you specifically share them with someone.

I often use Google Drive for project files I am currently working, or want to be able to access from anywhere. (My laptop, tablet, phone, desktop, etc) They do encrypt the files and keep them safe enough.

I would not use this for anything that falls under the guidelines of PCI, HIPPA, etc (healthcare info, banking details, account logins, or other sensitive info)

Reactions: ims

animeshe14

Thank you for clearing that out. Sorry, I really have no idea of cloud storage. So cloud storage the same with Mediafire ( not sure of the actual name) or other websites offering web storage. Is my understanding of this correct?

Hostlumina

Yes, it is.

Here is a good short read on cloud storage and the different options

I use DropBox together with sharepoint and I love been able to access documents from my phone, laptop, or tablet at any time. HUGE benefit.

Now in regards security, nothing is 100% but you can create a strong password and select strong password retrieval options to reduce the risk.

Just like RDO, I would not keep sensitive data on it at all in case someone does get access to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

RDO Servers

Correct. Mediafire is another cloud storage provider.

You store/sync your files with your cloud storage account. Then you have a backup copy, and can access the files remotely.

David Ewen

Yes it is safe. Or better said, safer than leaving your files on a computer that can fail. I use Google Drive and DropBox. You can set up file sharing to be password protected. I saw post responses for Media Fire and haven't worked with that one. I am curious to learn more about that.

I keep hearing about cloud storage in TV and the net. I want to try this out but I am afraid of the security risk as well as loosing all my files if ever my computer crashed ( it happened to my phone and it was heart breaking).

Is saving my files in cloud storage safe? if my files are saved in the net does it mean it can be viewed and downloaded by anyone from the web?

I would really appreciate your feedback on this guys.

Last edited by a moderator: