Pros and Cons of making your own WordPress theme?

Layn

I would like hear your suggestions on making your own Wordpress theme.

what are Pros and Cons? Should I buy a theme from theme market for fast development?

elcidofaguy

You could develop your own theme.. There are a ton of tutorials online that shows you how to do it... In sum you would create your HTML page and then integrate it as a template... That aside there are some very cool themes out there with drag and drop capabilities which allows you to setup custom layout very quickly... I recommend you check out thrive themes, Divi and Xtheme being some of them which I have used and does the job wonderfully!

RDO Servers

It mainly depends on what you want, your skill set, and how much time you have to spend on it.

If you're new to designing, or don't have a lot of time to spend on it, I would suggest starting with a theme. There are some really great themes out there for very reasonable prices.

If you want a very specific look, or just want to learn how, it can definitely be done. Do some 'Googling', watch some YouTube videos, and most importantly, don't be scared to try. Setup a dummy site and dive in with both feet!

Most importantly, have fun doing it!

That's a lovely question, though....

It would be great if you can spent your resources for creating your own Wordpress theme.

The pro are,
  • Unique from other
  • Any function is created for only your business
  • You will much more satisfy then buying other themes
Con
  • It may spend much time and money for creation new themes
  • It cause multi problem and require much time to test the new theme
  • The theme not satisfy what you expected

Reactions: ims

Hostlumina

I would like hear your suggestions on making your own Wordpress theme.

what are Pros and Cons? Should I buy a theme from theme market for fast development?

There are so many Pros and Cons for either. I have always been a fan of creating your own unless it's a personal non-important site. IMHO it gets tiring looking at the same designs. I love going to a site and seen something new :).

Theme

Pros:
Time - No need to work on a design
Affordable - You can find many themes at decent prices and even free
Little knowledge required - If your coding skills are minimal it is a great way to get up an running quickly with only knowing the basics for small changes.
Choice - Many options available and to choose from

Cons:
Not a unique/exclusive - Theme might look like many other websites depending how popular it is. Usually the "best" themes are highly used.
Search optimization - They are not optimized for search engines

Making your own Wordpress theme (custom)

Pros:
Unique design cater further more to your personal liking + audience
Search Optimization as you work through the coding
You create your limitations (i.e. txt size, width of the text content, etc...) as per your needs
You can create custom functionality specifically to your niche

Cons:
Price - If hiring a designer + developer. It can be pricey
Time - It will take time to create
Updates - Be ready to spend time updating as required due to software changes