Has anyone used PowerPoint as a FREE Logo or Design Tool to create JPEG files for graphics?

David Ewen

I am curious to know if PowerPoint is a common or at least an effective resource for graphics. On the Design tab, you can set the slide size and aspect ratio and you can set the background including gradient shades. Are there other things that can be done using this? How else can I be more effective with our without PPT to make great graphics for free.

Has anyone used LunaPic.com or PicMonkey.com for graphic editing of photos? Are there better simple FREE tools for graphic editing? I am looking for something that is effective with ChromaKey or making a background or colors transparent to make GIF or PNG files.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hostlumina

PowerPoint is not a graphic tool. It is mainly to create presentations for many occasions such as business meeting, business plan presentation, school project, etc... It does allow you to create "some" items but they are mainly specifically toward your presentation.

If you are looking to create some sort of graphics, you are better off with MS Paint over PowerPoint as a free solution.

Other than that take a look at.
GIMP

And a quick Google search turns up quite a few leads.

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=0kaVVYSUAamC8QfFrIHQBg#q=free+graphic+creator+tool

FYI - Threats merged.

elasticcat

I have never used free graphic online tools before, I learned Photoshop basics to design my own logo or simple graphics

If you want to make background trasparent then it will be easy in Photoshop, just deleting background (layer) at the bottom of page and keep shapes with transparent background.

the rest is publish them with formats like GIF and PNG which existed in this graphic tool.

David Ewen

Is there a free version or something that works like Photoshop that is free? I saw this price list (see below) I lecture digital multimedia technology and the audience I speak to is looking for the free resources because so much online is free. My effort is to not look like I'm selling something.

https://creative.adobe.com/plans?single_app=photoshop&promoid=KSPGW

I have never used free graphic online tools before, I learned Photoshop basics to design my own logo or simple graphics

If you want to make background trasparent then it will be easy in Photoshop, just deleting background (layer) at the bottom of page and keep shapes with transparent background.

the rest is publish them with formats like GIF and PNG which existed in this graphic tool.

ulterios

Hi David, Since you are looking for something that is free Lunapic is one of the better ones and I would pick that one over PicMonkey based on my experiences with both.

However, neither are going to be capable of producing the results that you can get with PhotoShop. They can provide decent results but they just can't match PhotoShop. As long as you are ok with that, then Lunapic will probably do what you need to get done.

Adobe does have a basic version of their Creative Cloud for $10 per month that will get you PhotoShop and Lightroom and that's pretty affordable for an Adobe product.

Argus

David, grab the Adobe Creative Suite trail for free and you'll have the choice of Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign among many others.

PowerPoint will limit you no end.

You'll get a month for free with no obligation. The suite is invaluable. You'll learn the tools of the trade and you'll soon forget the rest.
Is this free trial for US customer only or is it good in the EU too? Is this something special? Thank you

ProfMike

Ulterious is right on target.

On design, Photoshop is the tool for the majority of professional web developers. It just has so many capabilities and allows you to do so many things with graphics.

But there is a drawback to Photoshop, the learning curve to get a really get a good grasp on the capabilities of the software is high. I have been using Photoshop since it first came out and that was a long time ago. I am decent with it and can do most of the things I needs to in my web design. But honestly, almost every-time I use it I learn something new. It is an amazing piece of software.

As a professor I only use PowerPoint as a presentation tool. It is a great presentation tool but as a graphics editor it has way too many limitations. Most of the graphics I use in my PowerPoint presentations are completed with PhotoShop or Fireworks, another Adobe product.

GIMP is an excellent FREE graphics tool, that has a lot of capabilities. I forced myself to learn GIMP for the benefit of my students who did not have access to PhotoShop. It is good, but it is not Photo Shop no matter what you may read. It has its limitations also.

If you have an opportunity and can attend an Adobe seminar on Photo Shop, do it. Adobe has a few of them a year and you will be amazed at some of the creations that have been made with Photo Shop. It is am amazing tool.