Dreamhost, Hostgator or a VPS?

exousia

I am having around $10 for each month to spend on web hosting service. I'm going to buy a package for some websites that I'm buidling.

I heard some good reviews about Dreamhost, Hostgator but some people suggest me should go with a cheap VPS ($10/month) because vps can give me more features and more strength for my web hosting

If you have experience on web hosting, please give me an advice :)

HptHost-Tom

Hey I own my own hosting company and I could find something for you if you were interested. I do not how ever offer vps if you're still interested I will place my url in here for you. Don't want to just post it without your permission since you started this thread.

Tom

nesito29

I personally use Hostgator and haven't had any problems. Their customer service is very fast and reliable and the up time is 99%. I have the Baby Plan which is the one I recommend you take I pay $7.96/month for the service and get unlimited email accounts. Here's a coupon code for a 25% discount in case you need it MAYJU25OFF.
Hope this helps :)

RDO Servers

I personally use Hostgator and haven't had any problems. Their customer service is very fast and reliable and the up time is 99%. I have the Baby Plan which is the one I recommend you take I pay $7.96/month for the service and get unlimited email accounts. Here's a coupon code for a 25% discount in case you need it MAYJU25OFF.
Hope this helps :)

Although I have never used Hostgator personally, I have heard many horror stories and gotten customers from them after they were bought out by EIG.

I would suggest checking the Offers section

Luca

I also recommend Hostgator for reliability and excellent support, me and my clients have been using them for years with little to no problem ;)

For price though, I would recommend Namecheap (they do have hosting services, the cheapest being a shared hosting plan for under $10 for the first year). But since you dont't have any issue with budget, Hostgator should be your best option.

nesito29

Although I have never used Hostgator personally, I have heard many horror stories and gotten customers from them after they were bought out by EIG.

I would suggest checking the Offers section

Yes, I've heard those things before too, and for what I've read the problems present with the Hatchling Plan which is the cheapest plan they offer. You should be fine with the Baby Plan, I've never had a problem and that's the one I use :).

RDO Servers

Glad to hear you have had good results with your hosting, but I still think its sad that a company will support customer that are paying over a certain amount a month, not provide poor support to the ones that they aren't making enough money off of.

Many times I have read people asking about a particular provider. I always suggest that they purchase the lowest plan for one month. Then open several support tickets. How you can evaluate first hand, the quality of their support. It should be safe to assume that if they provide good service to a customer paying $1/month, they will also provide quality support to a customer who is paying even more.

nesito29

Glad to hear you have had good results with your hosting, but I still think its sad that a company will support customer that are paying over a certain amount a month, not provide poor support to the ones that they aren't making enough money off of.

Many times I have read people asking about a particular provider. I always suggest that they purchase the lowest plan for one month. Then open several support tickets. How you can evaluate first hand, the quality of their support. It should be safe to assume that if they provide good service to a customer paying $1/month, they will also provide quality support to a customer who is paying even more.

True, and they actually used to be like that but like you said, since they were bought by EIG they started to prioritize from medium to business level plans which actually sucks from a customer service kind of view. And the difference between the Hatchling and Baby plan is like $2 is not even much. Anyway as long as you get the Baby you should be fine :)

Luca

I have a friend who's running a WordPress site on Hostgator's hatchling plan for around half a year by now, and she don't seem to have any issue at all so far.

Plus, I think most of the top hosting services out there have their own share of customer horror stories ;) objectively speaking.

Hostlumina

If you are hosting something that is not "critical", as mentioned hostgator would work just fine. Just keep in mind that you might see performance issues and if your site begins gain traction. I would start looking for a backup host.

VPS is great if you know what you are doing unless you go fully managed but it will be out of your budget ($50+/mth for a good provider). Also, if you are just starting shared hosting will be best.

I actually would not recommend using a VPS within that specified price range; as you probably will not see much difference from a lower-end Shared Hosting package. Reason being, the resources allocated to you are also utilized by the software that powers your website (apache,php,mysql), and with a $10VPS you will only achieve enough resources to power a very small website.

If looking to get a VPS raise your budget to around $50 per month, keep in mind also the cheaper the VPS, the more the system is over crowded and the more issues you may see over time. A VPS is something that people don't realize should never be undercut in pricing.

Going back to the HostGator & DreamHost topics, I would personally not recommend either. Look for a small-medium sized company to host your websites with, never really focus on the "big guys"; reason being because with the huge amount of customers that they serve, the less they will be able to handle you on a more personal level. Depending on the size of your website, these companies also heavily regulate the resources that are availiable on their systems.

zoldos

Hostgator is crap IMO. I used them and was hassled about bandwidth usage and the type of site I was running at that time.

I highly suggest Lunar Pages. Best non-adult host I've ever used and right around your price range for shared.

Believe it or not my first Employer about 10 years ago was Lunarpages, I was a Level 1 technician. They've got a pretty decent setup, not a fan of their management structure or some of the the tactics they use for system administration, or the insane fees that they drop on their customers.... Other than that, not bad ;)

zoldos

I had to drop them when my adult site blew up and they said I'd have to get a dedicated server. I've now got a good VPS so no worries. :D

Nytshade

The popular companies I've used for my websites are Hostgator, JustHost and iPage. All these are good for a website that gets traffic once in a while or a couple of visitors a day (let's say less than 200 unique visitors a day). Once your website grows then you start getting a lot of downtime (the worst I've had was 2 days downtime).

It's true that some have never had downtime from these companies, but maybe they're not using much resources from the server. I've had downtime from these sites and switched hoping to find something better but I didn't till I decided to move to a small company. So I'm now on VPS and all is good.

So choosing a web host really depends on your needs. These big companies (Hostgator, Bluehost, Justhost etc.) work well for small projects, something that won't be driving a lot of traffic. But if you're running an authority blog or a big project then use a small to medium company and get VPS if you need more resources (server-wise).

Hope that helps you decide.

KeralMTG

Do not use hostgator, my cousin was using hostgator for over two years and had very many customer support problems. They have support that did not help him many times and always had excuses why they are slow and not helpful to their customers. Choose something besides hostgator. A vps will be good if it is with a good company and have more options than shared hosting so if you need more options then get a vps.

Dean

I would stay away from Hostgator or any other EIG owned hosting company, you are asking for problems if you use one of their hosting companies IMO and experiences. Almost anything is better than an EIG host! They have some horrible customer service and are always trying to pull something shady. Avoid them unless you want to gamble with your sanity and websites!

Cheers, Dean

ulterios

The quality of a VPS for $10 per month isn't going to be too good. It would probably be better to just get a good quality shared hosting plan that would be less than that but perform as well if not better.

Namecheap has some real good shared hosting plans that will out perform a lot of lower priced VPS systems that you can get for that amount and many of the specs are a lot better as well.